how many steps must i set for the day?!?!

Options
i was woundering how many step must i set for a day??

Replies

• smiffyatveronnav
    smiffyatveronnav Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do any - not if you don't want to. But, if you want to feel fit, then you might want to think about building up to about 4.5 miles a day (10,000). That is what the Curves programme I am following recommends.:flowerforyou:
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    All the exercise your doing will be much better than 10,000 steps. I used to wear a weight watchers pedometer and it didn't expect you to do 10,000 until you were at goal.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for 12,000 steps a day, I normally hit over 14,000 on the days I run. I think that once you are aware of how many steps you actually take in a day (unless you are in a very active career field), you will likely be surprised at how low that number is.

My husband and I just got Bodymedia Fits and he was shocked at how few steps he was taking in a day. At first, he was lucky to hit 5,000 and some days, he never got above 3,000. It's made him more aware and he aims for at least 8,000 steps a day.
  • thyme4
    thyme4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen on a few sites, 10000 is a goal for being generally fit. If you are trying to lose weight, a goal of 12000 to 15000 is more effective. My husband and I recently acquired Fitbits, and it has definitely helped develop our awareness of what those numbers mean. I now count all the time! I determined that walking up and down every aisle of the grocery store was about 2800 steps, so I do that quickly on every visit before I grab my cart and actually shop! Much closer and more convenient than going to a track, especially during the winter (if you can keep on task and not be distracted).
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how many steps you need to do in a day. Although I've been getting my mother to walk / brisk walk for at least 30 - 45 mins daily. She leads a pretty sedentary lifestyle, so I've had to step in and really PUSH her to find the time to walk for half an hour.

It's been going good so far because coupled with a healthy diet, she's lost almost 66 lbs over 8 months.

Hope that helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just exercise...I don't have any idea how many steps I take in a day, nor do I care...I rock my fitness and that's all you really have to do.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    10,000 is the number people aim for.. then 30+ minutes of moderate activity 3-5 days a week.
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started with 7,000 steps because I sit at a desk all day. I then progressed to 8,000, then 10,000, then 12,000 and currently am at 15,000. I also do high intensity interval training or strength training 6 days a week. Steps are a great motivational tool and as you progress you may need to change things up possibly adding strength training or additional cardio. Everyone is different and as you progress you can adjust your goals based on what you enjoy as far as exercise. Start off slowly and progress at your pace. You may not want to jump in over doing it and then get burnt out and quit all together. Take it slow and enjoy it and it will become a daily lifestyle which is what we all are trying to accomplish. Good Luck!