thoughts on bacon?

Options
2»

Replies

• monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    the key word there, moderation. 'nuff said.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Bacon is one of my favourite food on Keto diet. The only doubt I have is all the artificial things they put in...Other than that it's perfect.

Artifical things such as?

nitrites?

the only thing with bacon for me is the amount of sodium. if I have it I need to watch my sodium for the rest of the day or i'll go way over.

You know that nitrites are naturally occuring in vegetables, right? And are you on a low-sodium diet, that you need to watch your sodium after a couple of pieces of bacon?

I'm not on a low sodium diet but I do try to limit myself to 2500mg a day. I love bacon, and there is no way I eat a couple slices, so I get a huge dose of sodium when I eat it.

I'm definitely not arguing against bacon, or sausage, or any other cured meats, I love and eat them all, but like anything else, moderation is the key if someone is worried about the additives they contain.

I'm aware of nitrates in vegetables, but I'm also not eating a pound of radishes at one sitting to get a nitrate overload.

So you're basically saying you can't eat just two slices at a time, so without that self control, you'll eat so much you go over your sodium intake?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It's bacon, what's not to love?

Except turkey bacon. That's blasphemous and punishable by death.

^^I agree. Turkey bacon is not worth the small saving of calories.

If you are ok with the sodium keep it in your life.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I love bacon and eat it a lot actually.
    Just be aware that the calorie count you are using assumes yours cooking the crap out of the bacon, and then draining the fat and patting the slices.

I do cook it pretty good(not sure what "cook the crap out of it entails tho) and drain the fat (mostly then cook my eggs in a bit of it) and pat it down...I hate that feeling in my mouth...

If you're using the fat for cooking other things, make sure to count that as oil when tracking those "other things".

It's all good, just have to account for everything. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So you're basically saying you can't eat just two slices at a time, so without that self control, you'll eat so much you go over your sodium intake?

All it takes is four slices of bacon to completely blow up my sodium intake.

Eating all of four slices is a definition of "without self control" that I am not entirely familiar with.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Yes, I have zero self control, that's how I've lost over 70lbs in 2 years. If I smell bacon I eat the entire package, then go to the store and get some more and eat that too. Then I steal my neighbors bacon.

Seriously- If I eat 6 pieces of bacon @ 140mg of sodium each, that's 840mg of sodium for 1 part of 1 meal. I'm surely having 3 eggs with that bacon too, there's another 210mg of sodium. So over 1000mg of sodium for 1 meal. When I do that, all I do is watch my sodium for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure what your nit picking on with me. I don't eat 2 slices of bacon, it's not worth the bother to cook it like that. When I eat it, which is probably 2-3 times a month, I eat as much as I want of it, then I watch my sodium intake for the rest of the day. I'm not sure what's wrong with that.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon just about everyday, you can look at my food diary :)
    Curred vs. Uncurred: I think they are about the same in calories and technically both are curred but I've read that the "Curred" lable means it is curred using chemicals. You can get Uncurred anywhere Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Paycheck. It's just as delicious