Exercising at home

Options
Need to shift a lot of weight and as such am a little restricted to what I can do exercise wise.
I have lower back problems, and have had heart problems. On top of that I had a brain aneurysm, and have raised pressure as a result.
I have weights at home and assume low weights high reps (dumbells so ok with back)

Any tips on what I can do to exercise at home??

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    With your health history, probably a good place to start is speaking with your physician. He should be able to refer you to a good program, or give you free clearance to try what you will, in which case please let us know. There are lots of programs out there, and I am sure there are some for you, but I would worry about recommending anything because of any special concerns you may have (especially with the brain aneurism). Good job at making the decision to be in control of your health!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get clearance from your medical professionals!!!!

Yes, low weight and higher repetitions would be a nice entry phase into lifting. It helps all of the soft tissue adapt to lifting. Walking also sounds like a possibility for you to fire up your metabolism.

If you have not done so already, please get clearance from your medical professionals!!!!
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Could you do the Leslie Sansone workouts? its basically walking on the spot and is fairly low impact for a pretty decent calorie burn?
  • stacy295
    stacy295 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor to refer you to a plan. Walking is always a good option to help burn calories and it's very low impact. Most doctors can provide you with a list of activities that you can do to help lose the weight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Need to shift a lot of weight and as such am a little restricted to what I can do exercise wise.
    I have lower back problems, and have had heart problems. On top of that I had a brain aneurysm, and have raised pressure as a result.
    I have weights at home and assume low weights high reps (dumbells so ok with back)

Seriously, talk to your doc, and have your doc send you to a pt/trainer that is specially trained to work with that.

DON'T TAKE ADVICE HERE FFS.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Could you do the Leslie Sansone workouts? its basically walking on the spot and is fairly low impact for a pretty decent calorie burn?

This
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    youtube it
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Once you have clearance and know what you can do, we're here to help!
  • russyg
    russyg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys.
    Really appreciate the advice.
    Apparently I'm ok for swimming (which I love), and as long as I don't go trying to break any freestyle records, all should be good.
    I'm also planning a dog walk route which will undoubtedly help!
    Many thanks again, and good luck!
    Russ