Cheerios a low calorie cereal?

Options
Hey guys
just have a question, ive been having cheerios the past few days for breaky, just wondering if they pack alot of calories, i sometimes have 2 bowls, im not to great with the grams converting seen as i do not own a food scale, the bowl is 150mm down and i usually fill it all up. just wondering if this is healthy or not (calories wise) not macros wise

btw im maintaining weight atm and have 3 meals a day.
cheers.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Read the box?
  • oshjj
    oshjj Posts: 17
    Options
    I have it states on the box 119cal per 30g (average serving) that seems really small though.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't find cereal to be satisfying so I dont eat it often.

But you're not measuring or weighing your portion anyway so I dont think we can help
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Looking at my box right now, 3/4 of a cup is 110 calories. That's not very much at all, and if you're filling a big bowl I'd say you're getting two to three servings in one bowl, plus the calories from milk.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What kind of cheerios? The original is 100cal per 1 cup. Once you start getting into the honey nut, whole grain, frosted, the calories go up!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As cereals go, original (unflavored and unsweetened) Cheerios is a low calorie option.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I often have regular cheerios as a snack (no milk). Although, I have deep wounds from someone on here attacking me for eating them. Cheerio Lovers Unite!!!!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My rough guess indicates that may be nearly 4 servings. But I'm basing that on my personal experiences where my bowl comes out to 2 servings, and I only have one bowl. A single serving tends to be a rather shallow bowl. Pictures on the cereal boxes can be quite deceiving. I recommend that you measure your foods (for cereal, you can do a volume check, its close enough) to get a clearer understanding of what a serving size is.

I don't eat cereal that often though as its not as filling as other alternatives. Mainly I'll eat it on weekends if I'm in a rush to prep, but if I have a few extra minutes, I'd rather have a banana, oatmeal, and coffee. That combo is way more energetic (caffeine + fruit sugar) and has a lasting filling-ness (fiber) for me such that I'm rarely hungry before lunch as a result.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I often have regular cheerios as a snack (no milk). Although, I have deep wounds from someone on here attacking me for eating them. Cheerio Lovers Unite!!!!

I am eating the original now, as a snack, no milk :love:
  • wrk2hrd
    wrk2hrd Posts: 28
    Options
    I WAS a HUGE cereal junkie. Just love the stuff. Sugary, non-sugary - didn't matter.

Was just easy to eat when I didn't want to make or go out and grab anything.

Even after moving to soy/almond milk, the calories were huge. The serving size is just not enough to fill me up. I do endurance sports (run, bike, swim) and 110cal/serving is just enough to piss my body off.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have cheerios as an after-workout snack. I have 30g with 50ml of milk, I like them crunchy not soggy :smile:

I always weigh them, cereal is very hard to estimate!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's all relative...I wouldn't consider it to be a whole lot of calories per serving...but I eat like 2800 calories per day. Someone who eats far less would probably have a different perspective. Only you know if it works for you or not.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes - for volume Cheerios is low calorie.............BUT volume doesn't help me stay full, so I don't eat Cheerios.

Special K (Original) ......has a lot of protein for cereal.....protein IS filling

Bran Flakes have a lot of fiber for cereal.......fiber IS filling. There are some higher fiber Cheerios.

Granola(s) typically have a lot of fat for cereal.....fat IS filling.

I try to find a combination of the above.....1% or 2% milk has protein & fat. I like oatmeal (fiber)....but I add nuts (or peanut butter) for more staying power. Greek yogurt (protein) plus FiberOne (3 Tbl) + almonds (1 Tbl) ....helps me stay full all morning.
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    Original Cheerios is lowest in sugar, which is great. I have a cup of Cheerios with 1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk. Total calories 115. At that rate, I can have two! Love Cheerios! :love:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have it states on the box 119cal per 30g (average serving) that seems really small though.

if you're filling your bowl you're probably having at least 3 servings... depends how many calories you have to whether that is a good amount or not!
  • xXxkelly1980
    xXxkelly1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that if you eat the 3/4 serving, with 1/2 cup skimmed milk and add a banana and a coffee with no sugar, it should be a sufficient breakfast and hold you over until it's time for a mid morning snack. At that point, eating a plain rice cake with peanut butter and an apple would then hold you over until lunch.

We are so used to eating huge meals a few times per day so initially, it is going to be difficult eating smaller/recommended portions until the stomach 'shrinks' to it's normal size I guess.

Not sure what your goals are, but with anything, you will get used to it. Overindulgence is what has brought most of here.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey guys
    just have a question, ive been having cheerios the past few days for breaky, just wondering if they pack alot of calories, i sometimes have 2 bowls, im not to great with the grams converting seen as i do not own a food scale, the bowl is 150mm down and i usually fill it all up. just wondering if this is healthy or not (calories wise) not macros wise

btw im maintaining weight atm and have 3 meals a day.
    cheers.

Buy a food scale. They are not expensive and you'll know for sure what you are getting and be much more accurate on your counting. It's pretty diffcult to help you when you don't even know how much you are consuming.