Time of day?

Navie42
Navie42 Posts: 152
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there a time of day to exercise that is better than other times? The reason I ask is I remember reading the newbie links provided on the forums when I joined, and one of the articles explained metabolism and burning fuel / fat when exercising. The link stated that the first to be burned when exercising is any stores "readily available." It did not elaborate on this, but I would take this to mean anything you may have eaten thus far before moving on to fat stores in the body. Is my assumption correct? If that is the case, wouldn't it be best to exercise first thing in the AM, before breakfast?

I could be way off the mark, though. Someone shed some light please ^_^

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Intrigued as to others comments as I have always wondered about this...

I used to do the 6am Spin Class for this very reason, but work-schedule now means I have to work out in the evenings...so I'll be a little gutted if you have to work out first thing!! I'd have to get up at about 4am (and our gym isn't even open then!)

Sorry I'm no help...but great question!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    :happy: Your assumption is correct! Body always goes for whats eaten 1st then goes to reserves! So exercise before eating breakfest,besure to eat some protien and carbs right after you workout. Carbs & portiens should always be eaten together.[they both act differently in the body. Hope this helps.
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    From a Biochemical point of view your metabolism spikes due to hormones naturally (ie without exercise) twice a day. The first being after you wake up, the other usually being around 3-4pm (usually why you feel peckish around this time when you're at work).

These are the best times to be eating as metabolism is high and the readily available food will be more likely to be broken down and used rather than stored.

Exercise also causes a spike in hormone levels and will increase the metabolic rate, its generally a good idea to use this spike to increase metabolism in one or more of the 'low' hormone periods throughout the day, that way the body spends more time at a high metabolic state where it will begin using up any fat stores rather than the low metabolic state where it will be more likely to be adding to those fat stores.

Any exercise is good exercise regardless of the time you do it, as long as the energy that is used up is greater than that which is taken in (energy used > food eaten) you will start seeing a loss in weight.

Sorry if this seems a bit vague, I recently did this in University and have tried looking for my notes to back me up but they are nowhere to be found.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    my problem with this is, i can never workout on an empty stomach first thing it makes me feel faint and dizzy. Yet once I have had a good breakfast I have far more energy to workout.

I find it easier working out in the mornings but i assumed this was just because after a tiring day im lacking energy and motivation to get to the gym.
This discussion has been closed.