How to figure out cals per day

Options
Hi all,

I'm trying to track my calories again, to maybe lose 5 lbs, but more so to clean up my diet. I work out 4-5 times a week. Hard workouts. Training for a half marathon and an Olympic triathlon. I only wear my HR monitor when I run or cycle outside, so I don't have exact calories burned most days. I would like to have a set number of calories that I don't have to eat back my exercise calories. How should I go about figuring that out? Yesterday I swam a mile, then did a 8 mile run. I probably burned at least 1000 cals. I would say my daily average of cals burned would be 500-800, with 1-2 days being closer to 1000.

Is 1800 daily too low? Too high..

I'm 5,7, 142 lbs, female.

Any insight? Thanks!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Use this.

According to this your BMR is around 1427. From there your TDEE is 2213 (1427 X 1.55)
    You can base your weight loss around how aggressive you'd like - usually between 15%-20%

15% of 2213 is 1882
    20% of 2213 is 1771

Realistically, you will loose around 1lb per week if you're in a 500 calorie deficit from your TDEE.
    Keep in mind that anything more than or close to 1000 is considered extreme and can lead to muscle loss with the fat loss as well. :smile: