Supplements newbie!

Options
Hello!
I'm starting my second week of Insanity and as much as I try to keep up with the meal plan sometimes it's hard for me to have lunch (at least two days a week I have to eat "on the go"). So I'm thinking smoothies and shakes could be a good solution. In my country we don't get Shakeology and it's way too expensive for me so I was wondering what other meal replacements brand I could look for. There's a huge GNC selection at the drugstore, but I don't know if they have meal replacements formulas. I could also get something from Herbalife, but I don't know any of this. So suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Including ideas to make my own meal replacements smoothies :)

Also, I'm a bit worried about taking protein powder since I've never taken supplements before. But I think it would help, I've been doing some research but most of the brands I've heard about I can't find here. I don't want to get too big, I want to get healthy and fit.
The only brand I've found here are: GNC and other brand (Proteinex) which my dad started taking when he needed to gain weight. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend which whey protein powder from GNC I should get? Because apparentely they have lots and I don't know the difference between them (or if I better order something else) and also if there is a multivitamin from the same brand?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Replies

• erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello! I work at a vitamin/supplements/health food store. Your best option for a multivitamin is to get a whole-foods one. These are actually concentrated foods (not synthetic vitamins), and are way optimal for absorption. Nature didn't want us to take synthetic vitamins, she wanted us to eat whole foods, and this is the way our bodies are designed. Also you can take these whole foods supplements on an empty stomach without getting nauseous.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    A. If you go to GNC, avoid the employees. Go in with what you want and only what you want.
    B. Optimum Nutrition is available at many GNCs. Any whey without a bunch of additives is a good idea.
    C. A greens supplement could be useful if you can't get your diet in order.
    D. It's always best to get your diet in order. You can plan for eating on the go.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just isolated protein from milk, so it's not some sketchy chemical artificial powder, it's no different really than drinking milk, you just get all the protein without the calories from lots of carbs or fat. When choosing a brand, basically go with taste. There's not a huge different between brands. Unless you're trying to gain weight, steer clear of muscle milk because there's a ton of carbs in it, which leads to higher calories than you need. As far as taste, I like isopure Dutch Chocolate, but that's just preferance
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    On days when I have to eat on the go, I eat a protein bar with at least 20 gms of protein. More portable and convenient than a shake.
  • csmontec
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies!! I'll go shopping today :)