ChaLean Extreme - Hard On My Back!

kylielouttit
kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone else notice that CLX is really hard on their back? I had to take a break because I was getting back spasms. I'm trying really hard with form but ouch!!!

Replies

• roderick_stacey
    roderick_stacey Posts: 20 Member
    I have done it but havent had that problem maybe your lifting too heavy or improper form
  • Is it your upper or lower back? I just started my 1st week, my back is good, but my shoulders are really sore.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Is it your upper or lower back? I just started my 1st week, my back is good, but my shoulders are really sore.

It's my mid/lower back.

Could it be because I don't have a very strong core?
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,029 Member
    Is it your upper or lower back? I just started my 1st week, my back is good, but my shoulders are really sore.

It's my mid/lower back.

That would be my guess. I know I'm always singing Debbie Siebers' praises, but I feel like my body is more sound and strong when I do her programs than when I do anything else. She has a DVD called Total Body Solution. It has different exercises to help with pain and soreness for different body parts. I bought it, but I loaned it to my brother a long time ago. If he's not using it and can still remember where he put it, would you like me to loan it to you to see if that helps? I really believe doing the Slim Series workouts keeps my core and lower back strong. Cool It Off in particular is really great, and you can buy it as a standalone workout for only $20. It's an hour-long stretching workout, but she spends 15-20 minutes on lower-back-strengthening exercises. It is SO good. I'd loan you that one, but I use it all the time. Sorry!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member

It's my mid/lower back.

Your weights could also be too heavy for your back work at this time. Bent over rows are exercises for your back, not your arms, so your weights might not be as heavy as your would use for bicep curls, for example. I'd lighten your weights on the rows and deadlifts so you can concentrate on good form and make sure you are holding your abs in tight. Also, remember that on deadlifts, you don't need to bend over so far that your weights touch the floor - you only want to go as far as you can maintain a flat back - if your back begins to round, your are bending over too far. You might also want to do the ab exercises 3 or so times per week, if you are not doing that already, to help strengthen your core.

You might also consider following the weight lifting routines with a good yoga stretching routine. Rodney Yee's Flexiblity video is a really good one that focuses on stretching for the back and back of the legs. You can get it for about $15 at Target.
  • PJilly
    Cool It Off in particular is really great, and you can buy it as a standalone workout for only $20. It's an hour-long stretching workout, but she spends 15-20 minutes on lower-back-strengthening exercises.
    Correction: I exaggerated a bit. I just did Cool It Off, and she spent 10 solid minutes on lower-back-strengthening exercises, then another 10 minutes stretching lower back, hamstrings, hips, inner thighs, etc. Still, it's very thorough and makes me feel very good.
  • Is it your upper or lower back? I just started my 1st week, my back is good, but my shoulders are really sore.

It's my mid/lower back.

That could be contributing? I'd really listen to CJ cues!!

mmtiernan Is right on w/ her advice to you!

Jill ... hello, long time no see.
  • PJilly
    Hi Callie! :flowerforyou:
  • I see your still having fun w/ Miss Deb?? :smile: :smile: :smile:

I finally got ALL my SS :bigsmile: It will be my next round....I'm thinking?
  • PJilly
    I'm starting a new round today, but I'm modifying it a bit from last time. I'm doing:

Monday – Slim & 6-Pack, Tone it Up
    Tuesday – Firm It Up
    Wednesday – Slim & 6-Pack, Cardio Core Express, Slim & Limber
    Thursday – Back & Biceps OR Shoulders & Arms (from P90X)
    Friday – Slim & 6-Pack, Firm It Up
    Saturday – Tear It Up
    Sunday – Cool It Off

That's seven days a week, but Sunday is an easy day, so I'm going to do it four weeks, do another recovery week, then decide what's next after that. I :heart: Ms. Siebers!
  • I'm starting a new round today, but I'm modifying it a bit from last time. I'm doing:

Monday – Slim & 6-Pack, Tone it Up
    Tuesday – Firm It Up
    Wednesday – Slim & 6-Pack, Cardio Core Express, Slim & Limber
    Thursday – Back & Biceps OR Shoulders & Arms (from P90X)
    Friday – Slim & 6-Pack, Firm It Up
    Saturday – Tear It Up
    Sunday – Cool It Off

That's seven days a week, but Sunday is an easy day, so I'm going to do it four weeks, do another recovery week, then decide what's next after that. I :heart: Ms. Siebers!

Look at you FLY!!!!! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.