water weight?

Options
I've recently started this and I've gained like a 1lb in weight even though I've been excersising, could this be water weight? if so, how do I get rid of it?

Replies

• Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Watch how much sodium (salt) you are using.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are not taking in too much sodium. Its probably from exercise. Drink plenty of water (at least 64oz) daily. It will go away on its own.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and wait it out. If it is from exercise you'll have to wait for your body to get used to your routine before it will release it. It's a natural process and you want the extra fluid there to help cushion and repair your muscles right now. I know it's hard, but try not to think of it as the enemy :flowerforyou:
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    If you suspect it's water weight, increase your water intake. However, if your urine is light to colorless, then you are supposed to be hydrated.
    I started a new exercise routine last Monday and I've put on weight. I don't think that I've begun to put on muscle yet, but it could be water retention, although since I started this intense exercise (Focus T25 by the way), my appetite had gone off wack last week. I begun to simmer down a bit over past 2 days or so. Why I mentioned this, could it be that you may be eating a bit more since exercising? Anyway, I've also tried to increase my water intake to more than 8 glasses, difficult as it is for me. Once I notice my urine is normal yellow, I think I'm not hydrated enough for the amount of exercise that I do. That's my measure...heehee.
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    Just make sure you are not taking in too much sodium. Its probably from exercise. Drink plenty of water (at least 64oz) daily. It will go away on its own.

Interesting point....sodium from exercise you say? Can you ellaborate on that please? Much thanks.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    When you start exercising after being sedentary, your body stores extra water and glycogen.

Other factors could be sodium intake, carb intake, varying weigh in times, hydration levels, and menstrual cycle.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Interesting point....sodium from exercise you say? Can you ellaborate on that please? Much thanks.

Exercise actually removes sodium from your body via sweat, so lol.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I don't think they are saying "sodium from exercise". Just throwing out another possible reason for gaining a pound :smile:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I don't think they are saying "sodium from exercise". Just throwing out another possible reason for gaining a pound :smile:
    I read it as "water weight from exercise", not sodium from exercise.

OP- Wait it out. It'll come off when your body's done with it.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Exercise actually removes sodium from your body via sweat, so lol.

Sorry I should have clarified that more. The two are not meant to be associated. I was just giving you some ideas as to where the weight could be coming from.