Something to keep in mind when citing research

Options
RllyGudTweetr
RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/lies-damned-lies-and-medical-science/308269/

The above article isn't 'news' anymore, but I have no sense of how well-known or understood the phenomenon it discusses is among most people, here or elsewhere.

Replies

• Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell me this is another anti-vax article
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Too long. Did not read.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell me this is another anti-vax article
    It is not an anti-vaccination article.
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Long indeed! But I'm not surprised by his findings. As soon as money is involved research is no longer "noble" nor "altruistic" for science's sake. I'm reminded of a book on nutrition I read ,...gosh eons ago called Dr. David Reuben's Book on Nutrition. It is another eyes wide open and serious look at the vitamin industry and how we are lied to. Having worked in laboratory equipment sales (more eons ago) I saw the mad rush to produce research papers and write grant applications to generate funds for salaries and equipment. I witnessed waste and abuse of government budget money because an idiotic "use it or loose it" rule that encouraged spending every last penny of an annual budget so that it doesn't get cut the following year. Let's face it, human nature is all about self preservation and if money keeps a roof over our heads and food in the fridge, "scientific research" is no immune. Without trying to sound cynical, I've never had much trust or belief in the medical profession. They are not Gods and fall prey to the band wagons. I've avoided seeing a physician for several years and when I finally did (pressured by peers and a gall bladder attack) the first advice I got as part of the regular check up was discussing vitamin D supplements! Without blood tests! Needless to say my impression has not changed much.

Ultimately I trust my instincts and ignore a lot of the media claims. In fact I don't read the paper or watch TV.