100 sit ups a day? Too Much?

I've been doing 100 sit ups a day for four days is this to much for beginning a diet? I don't wanna gain muscle weight but i also don't wanna have a lot of flab when i reach my goal. Any help is Appreciated. :)

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    yep. too much.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If it isn't causing any discomfort, doing 100 situps per day is fine. Doesn't really matter. Better off doing more comprehensive exercise for fitness or calorie burns.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Sit ups aren't going to stop you from having flab.. you would be better off spending that time doing a full workout instead of wasting your time doing sit ups
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Agreed, sit-ups are a total waste of time, not to mention, they're not overly great for your spine, especially if you're packing around a few extra pounds. Planks and flutter kicks are a fair substitute, but your best bet is to hit the weights. Deadlifts, Squats, and pull-ups provide a stellar core workout in addition to everything else.

Rigger
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    I agree with the number, but disagree that it should be the same movement over and over. I like to do 100 of a variety of ab work, e.g. 50 bicycles, 20 dead bugs, 10 crunches, 10 windshield wipers and 10 transverse ab (lower abs) leg lifts and the like.

Good luck.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Agreed, sit-ups are a total waste of time, not to mention, they're not overly great for your spine, especially if you're packing around a few extra pounds. Planks and flutter kicks are a fair substitute, but your best bet is to hit the weights. Deadlifts, Squats, and pull-ups provide a stellar core workout in addition to everything else.

Rigger

This^^^^

Also, Sit-ups don't really hit the core. Your hipfllexors and momentum does most of the work.
  • Thanks for all the feed back. I also run, jumping jacks, leg lifts, and light arm work outs. So its definitely a variety of exercises.
  • Thanks for all the feed back. I also run, jumping jacks, leg lifts, and light arm work outs. So its definitely a variety of exercises.

56684052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Other simple things you can do:

Jump rope. Believe it or not if you do it for a while, it burns quite a few calories.

Burpees. If you don't know what they are, Google it. I hate them, but it's a full body workout, and you don't need ANY equipment at all.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    I've been doing 100 sit ups a day for four days is this to much for beginning a diet? I don't wanna gain muscle weight but i also don't wanna have a lot of flab when i reach my goal. Any help is Appreciated. :)

If you're doing sit-ups to spot reduce the fat around your midsection, it doesn't work that way honey. Also, you can only gain muscle when you eat at a surplus.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    The idea that you're actually in danger of gaining any significanat muscle weight is a myth....you should focus on strengh training in addition to cardio, and don't worry about gaining a lot of muscle. Even if you were trying to gain muscle weight, it would be a hard battle!
  • You can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit. It's impossible.
    You can't spot reduce.
    The only way you could gain muscle is if you were eating at a surplus. When you're losing weight, eat adequate protein and do resistance training (bodyweight exercises such as planks, mountain climbers, etc. are wonderful if you're beginning). Those two can help decrease the amount of muscle you lose when you're losing weight, although you will inevitably lose both fat and muscle. The muscle you do have will not be visible until you shed the layer of fat over it. In order to GAIN muscle, you'd have to be eating at a surplus while doing resistance training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Sit-ups and crunches are largely a waste of time. If you want to isolate the abdominal muscles, there are far better exercises. Also, you cannot spot reduce fat so you're not burning fat from your midsection with sit-ups, it does not work that way.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    sounds like a rather unpleasant way to get your cardio. Because that's all you're really going to get from it.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    waste of time.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member

Rigger

Yep, This.....
  • do planks instead. also try blogilates "victorias secret abs" its free on youtube and makes my abs stick out like crazy. great 10 minute work out before going to the lake ;]
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    you can do crunches and sit ups til the cows return home. abs are made in the kitchen...... mostly!!!!
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Do three reps of as much as you can each other day, that's exactly what's fine for you :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

You want something more rounded ......upper body, lower body & abs.

Some ideas ...........

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blnoweightwkout.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/tp/Body-Weight-Workout.htm