350 cal. burned cleaning/jamming

Rachickidee
Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So I recently purchased a heart rate monitor because I wanted to have the workouts I do on here show a more accurate calorie burn. Anyway, I had to clean my apartment. So I was curious and put my hrm on. I decided to have a little fun with it. I cranked up some good dancing music and jammed out will I cleaned! I was shocked when I burned 350 calories in a hour! Plus my apartment looked amazing and I had fun jamming to good music. So I just thought, this is great! Most people clean their homes, so if you can't find time to get a good workout in, just put on some good music and let the good times roll! :) Good luck.

Replies

• dtcauley4
    dtcauley4 Posts: 110 Member
    Nice!! :laugh: Work that cleaning :happy:
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Well done you!!! I feel like I'm always cleaning so I like your added twist!!! ;-) (Just off to hoover and clean the kitchen!!!) ;-)
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Makes me wanna go home and clean house!!! =) Thanks for the info!!!
  • Thats great! way to make cleaning fun!! I am starting a thread on dancing as a fun daily activity right now!! Come along, join!! :flowerforyou:
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Lol I hate to be a buzzkiller but 350 cal is probably a massive overestimate for an hours cleaning!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Awesome!! That is one of the best ways to burn calories. HAVING FUN!! Where is it written that walking on a treadmill for 60 minutes is the only exercise that counts.

I love to put the headphones on and rock out while I clean up. Mopping, scrubbing the tub, sweeping, dusting the vents all while wiggling my hips or shimmying my shoulders..........WOOT WOOT!

Have fun with it.

:heart: Jeannie
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Lol I hate to be a buzzkiller but 350 cal is probably a massive overestimate for an hours cleaning!

Did you read the part where she used an HRM? These are pretty good at determining your calorie burn and although I NEVER count house cleaning or yard work as exercise she did also state that she put on some music and basically stayed very energetic while cleaning and if she wants to count it and her HRM gave her that total than more power to her.

Now I have to add that I wear a body bugg and I know I use up about 100 calories an hour just doing day to day stuff which is why I don't count cleaning and other basic stuff, only real workout time, just saying.
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Thanks. I did actually document less than what the hrm told me because I do know that I burn 100 cal an hour without doing much. Also, I was working up a sweat throwing punch, and jumping around the house. :) It was fun.
This discussion has been closed.