Really stupid HRM question...

Beth720
Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm sure this is probably VERY obvious, but if you purchase a Polar (say F7 for the heck of it), does it come with the chest strap or is that extra? I thought it came with it, but looking at it on amazon the strap appears in the "accessories to purchase" section.

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Polar shouldhave strap with it should not be extra
  • mine came paired together; i bought it from REI.
  • Beth720
    Thanks. That's what I figured. I plan to get it from my running shop (waiting on the refund to hit my account from the defective piece of crap HRM I bought at a general sports store - love how they take the money off/out in like 3 seconds, but it takes 5 business days to go back on/in) - I was just doing some investigation.

They had a Garmin F60 too - but researching that it DOES look like there's a base price for the watch and then it goes up if you get the other "accessories" such as a chest strap.

So looks like I'll be going with a Polar.
  • you'll love it - it's a great investment. definitely motivates you to push harder. some days, i'm just like, "ok. gotta burn X amt of calories..." works like a charm!
  • Beth720
    Yeah, I want one! I'd bought a Sportline 1010 from a local sporting goods store near my gym on Wednesday. It worked fine Wednesday when I did a "test run" in the apartment just playing around. But then Thursday when I put it on, the chest strap wouldn't register no matter what I did. And when i took it back, the manager had no argument when I said that since it was shipped in "power save" mode, the fact that the battery had apparently died led me to conclude that it had been sitting around for FAR too long. (And in a telling fact, the bigger store in a busier section of the city had sales people who looked at me like I had three heads when I asked them about heart rate monitors - just out of curiosity.)

I quickly learned you get what you pay for.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I'm sure this is probably VERY obvious, but if you purchase a Polar (say F7 for the heck of it), does it come with the chest strap or is that extra? I thought it came with it, but looking at it on amazon the strap appears in the "accessories to purchase" section.
    NOT a stupid question at all! If you buy it brand new closed pkg. on a website that deals with HRM regularly your F7 (which btw FT7 has replaced 6 &7 so you might check into that as be able to get the newest and greatest for the same price..be worth checking out while you're looking to purchase). Or if you buy it locally. But do check if you buy on ebay or someplace that it's included if the pkg. has been opened, someone on here shared they'd bought 2 that were told they were new only to receive them with no chest straps nor instructions (though you can d/l those)

I think it's a good questions. The lower end priced HRM's, some brands don't come with one, so the accuracy is not what a chest strap one is.

Have fun with your HRM :):)

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Yeah, I want one! I'd bought a Sportline 1010 from a local sporting goods store near my gym on Wednesday. It worked fine Wednesday when I did a "test run" in the apartment just playing around. But then Thursday when I put it on, the chest strap wouldn't register no matter what I did. And when i took it back, the manager had no argument when I said that since it was shipped in "power save" mode, the fact that the battery had apparently died led me to conclude that it had been sitting around for FAR too long. (And in a telling fact, the bigger store in a busier section of the city had sales people who looked at me like I had three heads when I asked them about heart rate monitors - just out of curiosity.)

I quickly learned you get what you pay for.
    It amazed me too when I was calling local stores thinking everyone in the world knows what an HRM is right? Ah no guess not but since we're on this site we're saturated with toys (fitness goodies) I don't imagine we'd heard of before starting out on MFP. Least I hadn't until 07 myself. lol

Becca
  • I quickly learned you get what you pay for.

so true! which is why i was willing to wait a little longer to save a bit for my polar. :) i hope you can get one soon!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Thanks. That's what I figured. I plan to get it from my running shop (waiting on the refund to hit my account from the defective piece of crap HRM I bought at a general sports store - love how they take the money off/out in like 3 seconds, but it takes 5 business days to go back on/in) - I was just doing some investigation.

They had a Garmin F60 too - but researching that it DOES look like there's a base price for the watch and then it goes up if you get the other "accessories" such as a chest strap.

So looks like I'll be going with a Polar.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Polar! :flowerforyou:
  • Beth720
    Thanks! I can't wait to be able to get it!! :happy:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Me too! You'd think I own one the way I talk about how much I love them, it's just that I've researched exactly which one I want for awhile now and bills keep leap frogging in front of my HRM purchase...we likely ALL know how that's felt for some purchase or another, right? :)

But positive believing is going to get me mine....shortly, I can feel it on my chest and wrist. :tongue: :laugh: I think it'll be next pay period though :)
  • Beth720
    Me too! You'd think I own one the way I talk about how much I love them, it's just that I've researched exactly which one I want for awhile now and bills keep leap frogging in front of my HRM purchase...we likely ALL know how that's felt for some purchase or another, right? :)

But positive believing is going to get me mine....shortly, I can feel it on my chest and wrist. :tongue: :laugh: I think it'll be next pay period though :)

Oh yeah! Worst case I'll get it after payday on the 15th. BUT assuming the refund comes through on the Sportline I returned AND things get straightened out from a website malfunction while ordering tickets (thankfully a small site so in theory it's corrected. The site kept giving me an error message when I was waiting on my confirmation page; I finally got one confirmation emailed; but there were 3 pending charges on my card. I called them the next morning and there were 2 that went through, so he cancelled one which will be refunded, and he said the other should just drop off after a certain number of days when they don't go to actually get the money.), I can get it sooner!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    I bought my F6 on Amazon and it came with it!
This discussion has been closed.