How often do you have a cheat day?

Options

Replies

• FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a cheat day but every three days of awesomeness I take one off with no exercise and eat enough so that I feel nourished. On the days that I don't exercise I don't really like to eat bad because then I feel like crap the next day.
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Every two weeks.. TOO LITTLE!!!!!!!!! AARRRGGH
  • aquiva33
    aquiva33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm learning that as long a a cheat meal doesn't turn into a cheat day, it's ok.
  • Gekkes
    Gekkes Posts: 1
    Options
    Sundays.
    I just let myself eat what I want when I want (within moderation)
    I don't want to spoil my weeks work, but if I fancy a cupcake I'll have the cupcake - simple as that.
    I think its healthy this way because it motivates you to work hard in the week and then when it finally hits Sunday, you don't feel guilty for treating yourself! xx
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day about once a month. :) If I indulge anymore than that, I will go back to my binge eating.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Only Cheat Meals for me.
    And only when driven by the innate human need for social interaction over food--and the fact is, not everyone wants to eat like they're on a diet.

Menu-wise, if they won't come to me or at least meet me in the middle, I have no choice: I go to them.
  • daniyelle_
    daniyelle_ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't really think I've been healthy eating enough to have a specific answer to this!
    I do however, agree with a lot of people in that I'll treat myself occasionally, e.g a family's birthday, a special occasion.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's impossible for me to "cheat" on my diet because my diet is eating whatever I want. :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for about 2 weeks straight now and I'm starting to get a little sad that I can't eat the way I used to! So tonight I'm treating myself to a ridiculously fattening 1000lb + calorie kebab. I already feel guilty though cos I feel like I'm just throwing away all my hard work :( I know I can still eat the food that I love in moderation, but there's no way I can fit that kind of food into my "diet". Does anyone else have really fattening favourite foods that they treat themselves to occasionally, whether they're on a diet or not?

why can't you fit it in everyday??? I do...

I don't have a relegated "cheat day" I eat what I want when I want as long as it fits in my goals..

My diary is open so you can see I have a "cheat" everyday...yesterday toaster struddle...the day before cheese cake pop covered in chocolate and salted carmel...

Agree! Fit it in!

A kebab is like meat and veggies grilled on a stick.... I'm struggling to see how that would be difficult to fit in any normal diet. Grilled is the lowest calorie way to eat meat. And veggie calories are practically null.

So confused.
  • jeremiahd1
    jeremiahd1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat yourself. Reward yourself. Cheat is a negative word and comes with guilt. Give yourself a reward meal, no less than once a week. This should be a reward for all the hard work and consistancy you have put in for the week. I also follow IIFYM. It gives me a chance to eat the foods I want with out the guilt.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want just less of it now, so I don't need to cheat. And if I'm over one day not a big deal as long as I'm not consistently going over I will and have continually lost weight.

My diary is open and you will see all kinds of treats in there
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I have probably two days a week where I go over by between 200 and 600 calories. It usually works out on the averages and if not I put it down to experience.

As for crazy days (I call them 4k days as it usually ends up about that and if I lose track, that's what I log) - maybe once a month? I don't try and work them back - too demotivating - and I find one 4k day in isolation has amazingly little effect on the scale as long as you know you did it, you LOG IT, and you get straight back on plan. Christmas was another matter as there were a few clustered together - but even so, take a look at the chart. I put on a bit over Christmas, but overall I was still losing.

Crucially, my 4k days are intentional. I choose to go over, and I enjoy it! If there's one thing that's been key for me this time around it's to drop the guilt, and the 'must's and 'should's. Losing weight is something you want to do. So is eating that kebab. Your decision, your choice. And if my experience is a guide, you can probably do both.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I just started, but I know realistically there are gonna be some days I go over. I'm still gonna log them but I realize some days I set myself back from my goal, I just have to learn not to let it be a common occurrence.

Like today for instance, this is the first time I've had homemade hot chocolate in a while (its -5 degrees out), and when I went to log it, I about fell out of my chair when I saw how many calories it was and how it had eliminated half my sugar for the day. I have not even had breakfeast yet!! Its a learning experience. :P I'm not gonna stress about it.

I do however, have no plans to log on vacations and Christmas/Thanksgiving.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    just about every weekend!
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I have found that if I try to diet and restrict and eliminate foods that I enjoy from my diet I will fail every single time. This time I am eating what I do like, but in smaller quantities. I'm beefing up on other stuff such as beans and veggies. I am finding it much easier to keep under my calories goal when I do this because I'm getting to eat what I want but in a healthier way. So I really don't have to do a cheat day.

Cheat days in the past have distracted me from dieting because after the cheat day, it's hard to go back to dieting for me.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I cheat every Friday night !! Once a week. Whatever we want for supper. I usually get McDonald's or Pizza Delight. We have chips and dip as a snack. Then I finish it off with some wine that I don't have to measure out !! We start out the day by eating healthy and then when supper time hits just forget it all !!! It's the greatest. We set the night in stone. It is something to look forward to and it keeps me on the straight and narrow when it comes to eating healthy. Plus who wants to cook after working all week !!!!

Good luck !!

THIS.....I do the same thing. If its not Friday, its one day over the weekend. I allow a "cheat" day, or "cheat" meal is more like it. It feels good to be able to still eat something I love...like McDonalds, or wings, or....well, the list would go on for days, b/c I love food. But I have also noticed, if I eat within my calories all the other days, when I have a "bad" day, the scale goes down the next day. I have read all about staggering calories, and those people might be on to something. Anyways...good luck. If this is going to work for you, you still have to eat what you love.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I usually let 'er rip on Friday night and/or Saturday night when we are out on a date or out with friends. Can't say 'no' to a martini, right? ;-)

However, I am pretty careful most of the week and build in a bit of buffer.

Essentially IIFYM on a weekly basis more than a daily basis.

Cheat MEALS make sense to me. Cheat DAYS can be a bit of a slippery slope. If I went 'all in' on a cheat day, I could be looking at a 12,000 calorie day. THAT would be tough to make up.

Good luck!
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As to cheat days, I do it a little different than everyone else. I don't really have "cheat" days persay, but allow myself to have one small treat per day. It keeps my cravings at bay and I fit it into my calorie goal. I might have a can of Mt. Dew one day, or a Milky way another. Maybe a small amount of pasta, or whatever it is I am craving. Some days I am up to 300 calories under my goal, and so if I go over the next day I do not worry about it too much. I just watch my weekly caloric intake and make sure I hit my goal there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Once a month I go over my TDEE, in average. If I'm still under my TDEE I don't consider it a cheat day though (and yeah, it happens more).
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I used to do a free for all on weekends, and I was still losing, albiet slowly. I decided to make that just one meal and some drinks on Friday or Saturday, and the pounds started to melt off very quickly.