I feel like I should be loosing more

Options
Two weeks ago I started a new regimen of diet and exercise to loose about 90 pounds. At first I was doing 1200 calories per day and at least an hour of exercise 6 days a week. I recently discovered I should be eating more due to my height and was experiencing very bad headaches. But the weird part is I only lost 3 pounds the whole 2 weeks. I was expecting to lose more because I was exercising more and eating less - is there something wrong with my body? Should I expect to lose MORE weight now that I am eating a non-starvation amount of calories?

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating now and what do you weigh?

3 lbs in 2 weeks is awesome!

You started exercising 2 weeks ago for an hour a day, 6 days a week, you're body is likely holding onto water while it repairs your muscles. Don't try to lose weight too quickly. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will achieve your goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    New exercise regimen usually means water weight gain. Stick to eating more, your body needs the fuel. Just be patient. Once it gets used to the new routine you should begin to lose.
  • mell0wg0ld
    mell0wg0ld Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    250lbs :blushing: and I would like to be 160. I was eating 1200 calories a day and exercising about an average of 450 of those away a day. I looked up what amount of calories I should be eating on another site and discovered it was a lot more than 1200. I also was confused with the food/net differences. As of today I have upped my calories to 1,400.
  • Buksh12
    Buksh12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    its very helpful! or you could loose a spelling competition!
  • mell0wg0ld
    Options
    ah crap, usually I am the one doing that with people! *LOSE *LOSE ***********
  • Buksh12
    Options
    ah crap, usually I am the one doing that with people! *LOSE *LOSE ***********

hehe! :) sorry i just never noticed it as much til i came on this site! good luck with your weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating now and what do you weigh?

3 lbs in 2 weeks is awesome!

You started exercising 2 weeks ago for an hour a day, 6 days a week, you're body is likely holding onto water while it repairs your muscles. Don't try to lose weight too quickly. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will achieve your goals.

Very much this. New exercise will make you retain water which will mask some (sometimes all) weight loss. Give your body time to adjust. Just remember weight loss isn't linear. TBH, any loss is a win. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on track to me. Give it some time, it's going to take a few minutes for your metabolism to adjust back from your prior undereating. I know you probably want to see results now, but give it a few more weeks. Metabolic slowing (adaptive thermogenesis) takes some time to course-correct.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It's not a race. You HAVE to have patience. There will be weeks where you lose, then there will be weeks where you don't. Do not get frustrated. Be patient and keep working at it.
  • TulsaFun
    Options
    The first few weeks are the hardest part, stick with it! Just be sure to drink plenty of water after you work out, and double check that your diet is balanced. I had a trainer friend recommend more lean protein and fewer carbs, and after weeks of no results I finally lost a few pounds.
  • mell0wg0ld
    Options
    Thank you for the help - I will *TRY* to be patient through this process and remember about water retention as muscles repair. :smile: I will also try to learn the difference between Lose and Loose. :laugh:
  • jaiblevins
    Options
    It's not just the calories you're consuming, but the type of calories. You likely need to increase your protein and reduce carbohydrates. you should be consuming in the range of 100-140 grams of protein per day, and less than 100 grams of carbohydrates. Also, if you haven't already, cut out the diet sodas. They may be zero calorie, but they are still awful for you, and will cause you to retain water, due to the sodium. Those are just a few of the things I have learned the hard way, myself. Also, if you have trouble getting the proper nutrition levels, look into a nutrition plan like herbalife, advocare, or something along those lines. they tend to be designed with the proper amounts of nutrition in mind. Finally, DON'T GIVE UP! Getting fit is a slow process, don't make it slower by quitting.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i started at 278 my calories have always been 1400. the first three months only exercise i did was walk. i lost just fine. i dont know if that helps or not. lol.
  • Buksh12
    Options
    Thank you for the help - I will *TRY* to be patient through this process and remember about water retention as muscles repair. :smile: I will also try to learn the difference between Lose and Loose. :laugh:

:) keep at it! :) it does take time! if you log properly and dont mind people seeing what you eat you could open your diary up :) you may be having something high in sodium which is causing the water renention e.t.c :)
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat at or around 1200 calories ( never going over 1400) and do 1 hr at the gym 5-6 days a week. At first I got horrible headaches when I would go to the gym, for me it wasn't a food, issue I realized I wasn't drinking enough water. Now I make sure that I drink a bottle of water on the way to the gym and another bottle on the way home
  • Kiayaxo
    Kiayaxo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you not making any drastic changes to your approach just yet, give your body alittle time to catch up with you. In another week if you don't see any results, try looking into your macros. It's a very meticulous method to take, but could be a way forward. Good luck
  • mell0wg0ld
    Options
    I am drinking strictly water - no sugary drinks and trying very hard to not have carbs. I'm eating mostly protein and vegetables. Also watching the sodium as I know it does not help aid weight loss at all. Trying to avoid gluten and wheat gluten products also. I want to finally do it right this time! :happy:
  • mell0wg0ld
    Options
    I did not realize I had it set this way - I will change my settings - I will take all the help I can get :)

:) keep at it! :) it does take time! if you log properly and dont mind people seeing what you eat you could open your diary up :) you may be having something high in sodium which is causing the water renention e.t.c :)
  • hyarber32
    hyarber32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are jerk! Congratulations!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Here's what I had to learn about the word Try...I had to learn that try sets me up to fail. I like the words do or do not. As Yoda said, "Do, or do not. There is no try." I'm not saying any of this to discourage, over my weight loss journey I've come to realize that the words you say end up being the words you believe. By using more positive words or more "I CAN DO THIS!" attitudes it can help. It really helped me. It's not always easy, it's a process you have to work at every day. You have to say that it's okay if you didn't lose any weight this week, next week will be even better!" Talk to others on MFP and see about getting suggestions - like you did today!

You just have to remember it will take time. We didn't gain it over night, it won't be lost that quick either unfortunately. Anything worth having is worth working for.

Just remember this...and say it to yourself often...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Here are some good reads...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

And most definitely read this!!!
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/#comment-10883