Ideas for drinking more water!

I hate the way water tastes so I thought Id ask if anyone has any ideas on how I can add some flavor etc that will still keep it...well water. I am currently taking in less than one glass a day and I know if I could just up that number my weight loss will increase.

Any thoughts are welcome

Replies

• DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    If you aren't already, look into filtering your water and see if that helps. I also find that cold and ice water is nice to drink. You can also look into getting a fruit infuser that lets you get some flavor from natural fruit into your water. My friend sometimes makes cucumber water which can be refreshing - you just slice cucumber into a pitcher of water and let it steep in the fridge over night.
  • I am lucky to live in a soft water area so the water generally tastes nice but I find it much nicer when chilled. Try using a filter jug and keeping some in the fridge.
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    For some people, after drinking sodas and other sugary drinks for so long, water just tastes horrible and you have to force yourself to do it. Have you tried any flavor of crystal lights? That's how I started drinking more water. There's tons of flavors to choose from and they're all extremely low in calories and sugars. Now I drink 12-16 filtered glasses of water a day and I even crave water more than I ever craved sodas!

Infusing water with cucumber is an excellent idea, as well as with strawberries and blueberries! Or any fruit really.

Your body knows it needs water, just gotta force your taste buds to get used to it again
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Try lots of different herbal teas till you find one you like. No need to add anything to them and vertually zero calories. Some of them would be suitable to chill if you want it cold too.
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    I use Crystal Light packets added to my water all the time, I couldn't get a full glass of water down otherwise. My favorite is Peach Tea.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Lemon slices or a few drops of lemon juice help me drink more water. I used to not like lemon water but I kind of acquired the taste because I was using flavor packets but they started hurting my stomach. I also have tried putting frozen fruit into my bottle and letting it sit for a little while and then the water has a nice fruity taste!
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Whatever you do, don't use those Crystal light packs or any of that water flavoring. It has some really nasty cancer causing chemicals in it!

And watch out using lemon juice and lemon slices. I was doing that and I found out on my last trip to the dentist that the acid in the lemons stripped my teeth of lots of enamel!
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    I sometimes add chia seeds or cucumber slices to my water, they both really do enhance the taste!
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    I have been reading lately that adding cinnamon to your water is extremely healthy. I also add some orange or lemon crystals (freeze dried) to my water. Also, if you drink hot water with lemon or herbal tea it counts as part of your water itnake.
  • Just drink it, plain and simple. For the longest time, I didn't like the taste of water either, but by forcing myself to drink at least eight cups of water a day, it became a habit. Now, water is my drink of choice!

But hey, that's just me. Do what will work best for YOU. :)
  • I never consumed ANY water in it's pure form! I hated the taste of it, and it almost made my stomach ache. :( I got myself a FUN water bottle in a pretty colour . Also I think with cutting out my binges of junk food, made the water taste better! Now, I can down 24oz no prob in 30 mins. Good luck!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    I got myself a FUN water bottle in a pretty colour .

I totally agree :smile:

And I just bought a new one yesterday and the novelty may not last long, but I think I prefer my new clear BPA-free aqua colored bottle (Nalgene-type with a narrow mouth) to my old (leaky) stainless straw-type bottle.