Nothing from a COW... need help with recipes...

Options
So right now were on this program giving to us by a doctor, and were cutting out certain foods... Right now we have cut out anything from a Cow read meat, dairy etc.

Any ideas for recipes for Chicken or Pork?

I saw one for Chicken Stroganoff but it has cream cheese in it... so thats kinda outta the question..

Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• Beccraywards
    Beccraywards Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    have you tried chicken fajitas? i just cut out using the sauce.. use wholemeal wraps or low fat tortilla wraps.. peppers & onions witha little spicy seasoning.. makes a yummy dinner bursting with flavour!!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Many people simply substitute ground turkey for any recipe calling for ground beef. I suppose you could also substitute almond milk for cow's milk if there's milk in the recipe. Goat cheese etc.

I've not heard good things about vegan cheese but I must admit I'm NOT vegan....so someone who is may be able to steer you toward something in that department if you're not crazy about the goat cheese option.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy, or steak...I just subsitute everything. Look on Pinterest, there's tons of recipes. Instead of cream based sauces, use a white sauce with almond milk, you'll miss out on everything cheesey unless you aren't apposed to soy cheese. Lots of herbs and spices, stirfry, steamed veggies, goat cheese. I'm really not deprived in any way.
  • TulsaFun
    Options
    Seasoning is key to adjusting recipes. I cook with a lot of venison, it's very healthy, super lean, but kind of gamey unless you season it right. For venison you need to add a little olive oil and sweet spices like onion, celery, fennel seed, and bay leaves. Ground chicken and turkey are also great options, you can make hamburgers, meatloaf, and chili from your old recipes with almost no changes.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you're not allowed to eat anything from a cow, don't forget that goat and sheep cheese and milk are available!

Pork is super easy in the crock pot and you can do a variety of things with it, like pulled pork, roasts, tenderloins, etc. I'd google some recipes for that. I cook chicken as a curry frequently and stir fry it too. Tonight I'm having a no cow meal. I'm going to cook some chicken and make a salad with oranges, pomegranates, and spinach and sprinkle some feta (sheep milk) cheese on it. Check out recipes for white bean chili, that's a great way to use chicken as well.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lamb. Eat lots and lots of lamb. Yum.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I also saw coconut "cheese" but I haven't tried it yet.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Use ground turkey for anything you used to use ground beef for. Otherwise you can use chicken either chicken breasts, thighs, etc, or ground also. Pork chops-although they're a fattier type of meat as well compared to chicken and turkey
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Go to allrecipes.com and search for dairy-free recipes. For everything that comes up, swap beef for a meat of your choice, keeping in mind cook times will be longer for chicken than for beef. That should give you plenty of options.

I saw someone mention soy cheese and that it might not taste good. She's right. I'm vegan. I don't buy the stuff. When I want a cheesy flavor, I use nutritional yeast. It's a flake you shake onto foods that is dairy free. It doesn't string like cheese, it just has that cheese flavor. For a milk replacement, I prefer almond over soy. Honestly, even the vanilla has no real flavor, but it will give your recipes a creaminess that's actually really high in protein without the saturated fat of milk, so it's a great substitute.