New and need help

Options
Where do I start? Do I log my intake? Today I ate 2 full bagels and fruit. I really need help with nutrition. When I'm craving bread or crackers what do I eat instead. ? I have never counted calories before and I don't have an IPhone.

Replies

• lsarrach
    lsarrach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Start now. Plan ahead you meals and calorie intake. You dont log your not going to lose weight
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hi

Have you worked out how many calories you're going to have?

Yes, log your food on here so you can see how many calories you're consuming and plan out your meals that way.

Make sure you include protien foods (eggs, chicken, lean meats, fish, seafood) in your meals as this will help you feel fuller for longer.
  • lsarrach
    lsarrach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Avoid bread and suger. You can eat a limited amoubt of fruit. Vegetables sre free exceptvcorn and peas. Count any thing younput
    On it such is margarine mayo. But light, less calories
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    1 - breathe
    2 - just start where you are - log what you do and look for changes you can make (that's my system)
    3 - do you have a health reason or a suspected one at least for a reason to avoid bread? If yes, I can help. If no, is it a trigger food (as in once you start you can't stop)? If yes, I can help. If no - EAT A SAMMICH! and relax.
    4 - Friend me if you like - I'm good at nutrition and sticking to it long term (but not good at perfection and loads of rules)
    5 - Don't be too rigid - especially at the start. Just start and look for tolerable, small improvements you can make.
    6. I have a droid - and the app works ok on my cheap A phone - no iphone is necessary. Otherwise, get a calorie counter book to carry or preplan/prelog days when you won't have access.

edited to add number 6
  • ldmartin1982
    ldmartin1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would say, yes, log your intake. If you don't have the app, you can just keep a little notebook and write things down as you go throughout the day, and then plug them all in before you go to bed at night. I had never systematically kept track of calories before MFP either -- these past few weeks have actually been super fun. It's like a little game of Monopoly I get to play with myself. t might be a good exercise to log your intake first on a typical day of eating for you, so you can look at what your "status quo" is in terms of macronutrients -- that can help you find out where you might want to make some adjustments to your current eating habits. I know when I did that I realized, "Whoa, I sure do eat a lot of cheese." Cheeserealization. It was heavy.

My go-to when I am craving crackers: I go for blue diamond almond nut thins with a hint of sea salt -- they at least have a little protein in them, plus gluten is not always my best friend.

To help make sure your food plan is sustainable and enjoyable, I like to highlight a couple of things that I know I really like that I don't want to deprive myself of entirely…..for me it's thai food and wine :) -- make sure you plan for those things so you can incorporate them in a way that still matches your goals. So if you like bagels, sure have a bagel -- but maybe half, and make sure you also plug in some protein/fat with it (like a nut butter). I've found plugging in more proteins and fats actually keep me a LOT more satiated for a MUCH longer time.

Lots of luck to you!
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    Please do not tell people to avoid bread and sugar. This is completely FALSE. At the end of the day it's calories in vs calories out with regards to percentages of your macro nutrients. Track your Protein, Fats, Carbohydrates and Fiber.

Feel free to follow me if you want to see how I do it when I prepare for Body Building contests. Yes I am natural as well.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For me logging has definitely helped. It's surprising to see how many calories some items have. And we eat them without thinking. Also, the amount of fat in some items is just crazy! With MFP you can work out how many calories a day you need. Then try to make up a meal plan that is well rounded and start logging. It's easy to see which food items are sabotaging your efforts that way. Feel free to send a msg if you have any questions.

Good luck to you!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advise already. Log every day and weigh/measure your food at first in order to learn what a portion size looks like. Drink lots of water. Whether to avoid certain foods is your choice and everyone has a different opinion on it.

If you have medical problems which require you to follow certain diet restrictions, then definitely go that route. Example, I must follow a reduced carb diet, so I have to be careful with bread, cereal, rice, potatoes etc. I can still have them, but in moderation. Another person may have to limit their salt intake for their heart. You do whatever works for you as long as you are staying within your calorie goals.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Welcome , I am 49 and I am on here everyday, if you want send me a friend request and I will take a look at your diary , you have to open it up so we can see what your are eating, in our 40's we have to move more and eat less .. Quality calories, your body reflects what you put into it, eat clean fresh foods and it will show.. goodluck on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I see people here use the phrase “add me” what does that mean?

Thank you all so much for all the tips! I have a go-phone. I don’t use instant messenger, facebook, twitter or instagram. I did find the part of this site where you log your food so I’m starting with that and made it public. I have a hard time working out in the winter because I hate the cold and I hate the gym so I always put on weight in the winter. Even though the start of every winter I swear I will do better, I conk out in the middle of winter and put on a good 10 – 20 pounds. I just took off working out for a month because I moved and was out of routine. My workout routine is 2 days of 1 hour outdoor bootcamp and 1 day of yoga plus 3 days of 25 minutes walking. I'm 45 years old. I appreciate all your help and feedback.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "If you bite it, you write it" Keep track of EVERYTHING! Some say well I just ate a few nuts but they don't realize how high calories the nuts are. Read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017045-a-very-interesting-and-informational-read-on-deficits maybe it will help. What kind of phone do you have? Any smartphone will work or even an ipod. If not, just carry a notebook. Measure things out ahead to take with you. Get a scales. Very important.
  • LovemyTysonboy
    Options
    I just entered my food for today and I'm a little confused. Yesterday I ate a little over 1220 calories and sd I would almost get to my goal weight in five weeks. Well today I ate 1229 calories and it sd if I continue to eat like this I would weigh more, like 7 lbs more than what it sd yesterday. I did overeat the amt of protein it says I should have but was way low on my carbs. Don't know if that md the difference. Thought this went for total calories.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention to the whole "in 5 weeks you'll weigh this much" part. Log what you eat, try to stay within your calories, meet your exercise goals. Also, if you struggle with healthy eating, making an appointment with a nutritionist. (Not sure about where you are, but my health department offers a monthly meeting for free)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Avoid bread and suger. You can eat a limited amoubt of fruit. Vegetables sre free exceptvcorn and peas. Count any thing younput
    On it such is margarine mayo. But light, less calories

ehhh??

vegetables are a zero calorie food ?

why can't you eat bread and sugar? You realize vegetables area carb right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - here is my advice.

1. make sure you have a food scale.
    2. Calculate your maintenance calories - you can do this athttp://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ for goal weight, enter in your current weight.
    3. When you have the above number deduct 500 calories from this number.
    4. Input this number into MFP for your daily calories. you can do this in custom settings..also set your Protein/Carbs/Fats to 40/30/30 < these are percentages.
    5. Make sure that you weight, count, log every single thing that you eat.
    6. pick up a copy of starting strength.
    7. join a gym and start a program of compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, overhead press, rows, chin ups/pull ups, bench press - get a trainer and learn proper form, or watch some you tube videos.
    8. Once you have proper form down, incorporate these moves into a strength training routine where you lift heavy three times a day and are working in the 6-10 rep range. On off days mix cardio about three times a week. Make sure you have rest days.
    9 - There are no "bad" or "good" foods. Please do not restrict any foods. I find the 80/20 rule to be helpful. 80% healthy, 20% whatever you want = pizza, ice cream , cookies, etc….
    10 - repeat until you reach desired goals….

good luck to you ...
  • Lynetterene
    Lynetterene Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is so strange to be on this site and not knowing where to start. I am a lifetime weight watchers member and all I had to worry about was counting my points. This is so foreign to me. I decide to give this a try to see how I make out. I read all of your suggestions and tips. Thank you, this is what I was looking for "where/how do I begin. I look forward to keeping you updated.