Strength Training

Options
HELP! Finally decided to do some weight lifting this morning using 1, 3, 5, and 8lb weights. Only did 20 minutes instead of my normal hour walk before weight training just to warm up my heart. But I only got credit for my 20 walk for my exercise calories. Do you get exercise calories for strength training???? Well even if I don't het exercise calories, I know it did some good, because I sweated up a storm, and my thighs are a little sore. But it's a good sore :)!

Replies

• balance9
    Options
    Good for you!!! Keep pumping some iron. Strength training...and every workout you do...is about WAY more than calories, if you want to change your body AND keep the weight off for good. Women lose at least 7 pounds of muscle every decade over age 20 (by age 40 we have lost over 20 pounds of muscle)...that's one of the big reasons why our metabolism slows. Keep up the strength training at least twice a week, keep moving (tip -- you don't have to do gasping-for-breath cardio, and definitely not every day) and you'll turn it around.
  • goldspaula
    Options
    Hi Joan,

The only way that I can see to get credit for the strength training is to search it under cardiovascular. There is a strength training to choose and you just enter the total number of minutes you do it. I generally do 15 to 20 minutes a day on the machines at my gym, and it gives me 80 to 85 calories for it. :D

Hope that helps.