Does anyone have a good homeade houmous recipe?

Options
Hi,

I have started eating houmous and vegetables as part of my daily diet so I thought it would be a good idea to make my own - which I did - and it was just about edible :noway: ! Does anyone have any tried and tested recipies I can try?

Thank you :smile: ,

Replies

• jquintinjr
    Options
    drained can of chickpeas, some garlic, some franks red hot, chive. olive oil

you can be creative. its basically a drained can of chickpeas and olive oil for plain hummus then add spices and whatnot for flavor.
    lemon juice is another good one
    flavor options
    -garlic
    -lemon
    -hotsauce
    -chive
    -pepper
    -red pepper flake
    -any other spices you enjoy
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I made some home-made hummus using a recipe that didn't include tahini (I didn't want to pay that much, but see below for a homemade tahini recipe, which I'll be trying soon & adding to my hummus), and it turned out great! Here's the recipe...very quick/easy/cheap:

Ingredients

* 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
    * 1 clove garlic, crushed
    * 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt (I only added a few dashes - not a whole 1/2 teaspoon)
    * 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions: In a blender or food processor combine garbanzo beans, garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Blend on low speed, gradually adding reserved bean liquid, until desired consistency is achieved.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/extra-easy-hummus/Detail.aspx

Here's a tahini recipe, which I'll be trying soon:

(http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/01/tahini-that-doesnt-come-from-jar.html)

Note: Commercially made tahini separates the bran from the kernel and only grinds the kernel, which is why it is so smooth and thin. At home you're grinding both the bran and the kernel in a home food processor that isn't as powerful, so the resulting tahini looks gritty and sticky... It's more like thick peanut butter with small flecks of the bran.

Tahini Recipe

I got the tahini recipe from The Kitchn. It's so easy! The recipe is below along with my notes.

For about 2 cups of tahini, you'll need:

* 2 C sesame seeds
    * 1/3 C olive oil

First, you'll need to toast the sesame seeds.

1. Heat a heavy, wide-bottomed sauté pan over medium-high heat.
    2. Add the sesame seeds and toast lightly - about 2 minutes, shaking the pan so they toast evenly. Two tips here: a) I am a messy cook with limited arm strength. I have a great fear that if I toss a pan, food will end up everywhere, therefore, I tend to just vigorously stir rather than toss. b) Keep a careful eye on the sesame seeds as they go from toasted to burnt really quickly. As soon as they start to brown, they are done.
    3. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.

Next, you'll process the toasted seeds with the olive oil.

1. Put the toasted sesame seeds in a food processor and drizzle in the olive oil. As you can see, I poured rather than drizzled. It worked just fine!
    2. Pulse for 3-5 minutes, or until it's as smooth as you can get it.
    3. Add a little more olive oil if necessary.
    4. Remove from food processor and store in the refrigerator
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have a vegetarian cooking blog and I know I have at least one hummus recipe on there. I may have two. http:www.myveggietable.com. It is really easy to make hummus. I hope you find something you like!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I went on youtube and there are some "how to" videos on how to make your own hummus. I did the one that made sense to me. It came out pretty good but not BETTER than the store bought.
  • Ingredients
    2 (15.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Preparation
    1. Place beans and garlic in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until chopped. Add 1/2 cup water and remaining ingredients; pulse until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.

Feta-Baked Hummus: Combine Traditional Hummus, 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese, 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish with parsley sprigs. Yield: 4 cups (serving size: about 2 tablespoons).

CALORIES 44 (51% from fat); FAT 2.5g (sat 0.6g, mono 1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 2g; CARB 3.8g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOL 1mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 109mg; CALC 21mg.

White Bean and Roasted Garlic Hummus: Since this variation calls for roasted garlic, you can just omit the raw crushed garlic cloves from the Traditional Hummus. Remove white papery skin from 2 whole garlic heads (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Place garlic pulp, Traditional Hummus, and 1 (15-ounce) can rinsed and drained cannellini beans (or other white beans) in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until chopped. Add 1/4 cup water; process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary. Yield: 5 cups (serving size: about 2 1/2 tablespoons).

CALORIES 45 (40% from fat); FAT 2g (sat 0.3g, mono 1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 1.8g; CARB 5.3g; FIBER 1.2g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0.4mg; SODIUM 81mg; CALC 16mg.

Spicy Red Pepper Hummus: Cut 2 red bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into strips. Combine bell peppers, 2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek), 1/2 teaspoon paprika, and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Transfer pepper mixture to a serving bowl; stir in Traditional Hummus. Yield: 4 cups (serving size: about 2 tablespoons).

CALORIES 39 (46% from fat); FAT 2g (sat 0.3g, mono 1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 1.4g; CARB 4.3g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 74mg; CALC 11mg.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:44 (51% from fat)
    Fat:2.5g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.7g)
    Protein:1.5g
    Carbohydrate:4.4g
    Fiber:0.9g
    Cholesterol:0.0mg
    Iron:0.3mg
    Sodium:74mg
    Calcium:12mg
    vvv
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    2 (15.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Preparation
    1. Place beans and garlic in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until chopped. Add 1/2 cup water and remaining ingredients; pulse until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.

Feta-Baked Hummus: Combine Traditional Hummus, 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese, 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish with parsley sprigs. Yield: 4 cups (serving size: about 2 tablespoons).

CALORIES 44 (51% from fat); FAT 2.5g (sat 0.6g, mono 1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 2g; CARB 3.8g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOL 1mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 109mg; CALC 21mg.

White Bean and Roasted Garlic Hummus: Since this variation calls for roasted garlic, you can just omit the raw crushed garlic cloves from the Traditional Hummus. Remove white papery skin from 2 whole garlic heads (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Place garlic pulp, Traditional Hummus, and 1 (15-ounce) can rinsed and drained cannellini beans (or other white beans) in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until chopped. Add 1/4 cup water; process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary. Yield: 5 cups (serving size: about 2 1/2 tablespoons).

CALORIES 45 (40% from fat); FAT 2g (sat 0.3g, mono 1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 1.8g; CARB 5.3g; FIBER 1.2g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0.4mg; SODIUM 81mg; CALC 16mg.

Spicy Red Pepper Hummus: Cut 2 red bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into strips. Combine bell peppers, 2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek), 1/2 teaspoon paprika, and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Transfer pepper mixture to a serving bowl; stir in Traditional Hummus. Yield: 4 cups (serving size: about 2 tablespoons).

CALORIES 39 (46% from fat); FAT 2g (sat 0.3g, mono 1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 1.4g; CARB 4.3g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 74mg; CALC 11mg.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:44 (51% from fat)
    Fat:2.5g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.7g)
    Protein:1.5g
    Carbohydrate:4.4g
    Fiber:0.9g
    Cholesterol:0.0mg
    Iron:0.3mg
    Sodium:74mg
    Calcium:12mg
    vvv

THIS IS THE MOST ACCURATE RECIPE. I LIVED IN THE MIDDLEAST (SAUDI ARABIA) AND THIS IS HOW THEY MAKE IT..TRADITIONAL STYLE.. TAHINI IS HIGH IN FAT AND CALORIES.