cardio

Options
What's your favorite and most effective cardio routine? Been trying different combos lately and looking for some good input. Feel free to add me as well, always looking for new friends, especially those who log in daily, it helps with motivation. I'm becoming quite the work out nut! :)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to run, either outside or on the treadmill. With the treadmill, I work on hills and speed. Get some good, fast music, and crank up the incline. Try to run for 2-3 min before lowering the incline 1-2%. Once I get the incline below 5%, I increase the speed at every interval. An example would be to start at 10% incline, 5.5 mph, 3 min. intervals. Every 3 min., lower the incline by 1%. When it gets to 5% incline, increase the speed to 5.6mph, etc. When I get to 2%, really increase the speed, to around 7mph. By then, the incline feels like nothing and I just enjoy the run.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Swim (endurance), jump rope, skiing. Just for fun :frown: I am trying a conditioning program from Everlast.

I always end up with shin splints from attempting to run, but I want to get good at that.

Oh and in the spring I want to get into mountain/cross country/trail biking. That is awesome cardio especially if you live in the mountains like I do. Every way you go is up

I just hope I can afford a decent bike
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been going to zumba classes which are amazing and so much fun that you don't realize you are doing such intense cardio.

On days when I go to the gym and don't do a class usually I do two or three different machines to keep me from being bored. I usually start on the elliptical and do 20-30 minutes. If i'm feeling brave I will do 10 minutes on the stair master (that is the hardest for me) and then I'll go do 20-30 on the treadmill. Usually I try to have a total of 45-60 minutes cardio and sometimes there is a 2-3 minute cool down on the elliptical and treadmill too. I like walking at an incline on the treadmill as opposed to running. You can still burn some pretty good calories if you are walking at a fast enough pace.

Don't forget to throw in some weights too so that you are building muscle along the way. :]
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It used to be the elliptical but my damn muscle memory makes it really hard for me to get a good burn now on the elliptical!

So my go to favorites now are zumba and running (which I used to hate by the way)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    HIking is by far my very favorite exercise. I love to be in the woods.

Others I like are biking (mountain or street). walking, calisthenics, gardening, playing with my grandkids, basketball, swimming.

When I need an indoor workout my favorites are Zumba, Turbo Fire, calisthenics or step aerobics.

I also enjoy HIIT calisthenic or running workouts.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Running
    Nordic skiing
    Snowshoeing
    Hiking
    Biking
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I love running. Really, really love it. I'm also going to start biking in a few months because I am doing a duathlon on May 18
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i like the elliptical. to me that machine is "the beast" it's a love hate relationship!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is no best cardio routine. Do what you enjoy so that way you are more likely to be consistent.