Fatigue

I started working on my fitness one week ago after a long long break and weight gain. ( a year )

My week went like this:

Monday : 20 min circuit training, 20 min hike
Tuesday: 20 min circuit training
Wed : 60 min hike
Thursday: 36 min hike
Friday: 60 min hike
Saturday: no workout
Sunday: 90 min hike
Monday (today): 60 min hike

My question is related to today. I'm hiking with my 3 year old in a jogging stroller and climbing some pretty big hills but not constantly. A lot of flat trail too. I had one big hill to climb at the end of my hike today and I barely made it. Extremely fatigued feeling.

Am I over doing it? Or should I be fitting in more strength training and less cardio? I'm just confused by how tired I felt today when I hiked for way longer yesterday and felt great.

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    I think you should listen to your body. And eat some or all of your exercise calories back, if you aren't doing so already. Or maybe add in a different type of activity to alternate days of hiking with.
    Good luck :smile:
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    It's too much, too soon. Try for every other day or at least not more than 2 consecutive days at a time until your body becomes better adapted to working out again. Otherwise, you're just gonna burn out or get hurt.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    When you go from zero to six days a week, you start building up what I call "residual fatigue" that can become cumulative. It is not uncommon to "hit the wall" in the second or third week. You might be able to get away with cutting back for a couple of days or you might need to take off completely. As time goes on, you should be able to tolerate the volume better. However, if you want to work out 6-7 days per week, this is something you will have to manage. Occasionally you will feel stale and it might be necessary to take a couple of days' break. Just keep varying your routine (the intensities and durations) and pay attention to how you feel.
  • When I have worked out a muscle or muscle group hard, I sometimes feel in the next few days, not soreness but definitely muscle tiredness.

I just rest until I don't feel that fatigue anymore.