What do you do with food other's give you?

If someone gives you food and you don't know how many calories are in it, how do you include it?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Depends wht it is, the database is vast and I can generally find something that matches roughtly. I tend to over-estimate at those times than underestime.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    I generally ask them what it is first, and from that, as well as what is looks, smells and tastes like, I can generally estimate the amount of calories. If I can tell its high, (ie. buttery, oily, super sweet, large portion, etc.) I try to eat half, and tell them I'm not all that hungry.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    I do the same & just take a guesstimate at it. If there are a few options I generally go towards the higher cal end. Or I just tend to eat under my cals by a bit that day. I figure that long term so long as you aren't over eating 98% of the time then it isn't going to hurt too bad.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    It definitely depends. For instance my parents cook a lot of fatty food and I never know the nutritional or caloric values of any of it, so I just buy my own food and eat that instead when I'm home from college. If someone offers me food that I don't know the values of, I either decline, or if I take it I have a really small amount and find a rough estimate on mfp and log it. If I log it I overestimate just to be safe
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    I eat it, enjoy it, guesstimate the calories with what I find in the database, and usually try to go to the high end.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    A nice pleasant No Thanks is an answer too !
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    I just say im not interested, thank you

The actual likelihood of someone offering me food that isnt going to kill me (i have A LOT of allergies) is pretty unlikely too so im used to having to turn down food

Someone offering me food would never make me ruin my meal plan for the day just to be polite. You dont need to be rude when you turn something down, but now should you simply accept it if you dont want it
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Depends wht it is, the database is vast and I can generally find something that matches roughtly. I tend to over-estimate at those times than underestime.

^^^