Confused

Options
Hi, 2 questions - I know alot of women say when they started lifting weights, that's when they started dropping fat and seeing results. I've been doing what I can at home, but the heaviest weights I have are 15lb dumbells. Is this enough to to get some of the benefits of lifting that everyone is talking about? I don't have the space to have a whole lot of weights or equipment sitting around.

Also, is it good or bad to do a workout that's basically a combo of everything? For example - squats until my legs are too sore, then onto abs until those are sore, then onto arms - cardio - back to legs - repeat.?
I thought it was a good idea until a friend told me today that its the opposite of what I should be doing, and then I read online about how you should choose certain muscle groups to work and not do everything everyday. But I don't understand this, and this is how most workout videos like 30 day shred are set up, to activate all the different muscles.
By the way, I'm female, I work out about an hour per day, and my goal is to lose weight.

Replies

• Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I have been exercising regularly for the past 20 years. I have found the best combination is a little cardio everyday (at least 30 min) AND some weight training. I take a class at the gym, called Body Pump, and it works all the muscle groups in one class...however I only do this class 2x/week...should not be done everyday. I take kickboxing and interval classes in between.
    If you want to do a little of weights everyday, I would pick 2 major muscle groups a day and include abs after every session. Chest/back one day, legs/quads/butt another, biceps/triceps another, etc...30 min cardio pre, then weights, then abs, then stretch. Also good to have a high protein snack/drink/shake after to help repair and build muscle. A little cardio everyday is great, but weight training more than 3-4x/week is too much.
    Hope that's helpful :)
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing exercises that use your own body weight? Google it and you will find that there is a lot that can be done using your body (dips, pushups, lunges, squats etc)

I do yoga. Not Hatha style relaxation - active ashtanga yoga and man do I sweat! I have seen nice increased muscle definition and strength since starting to practice it daily.