Do I need to gain/how much?

Options
I'm 19 years old and 5'5. I currently weigh around 92 pounds. How much weight should I gain, and how much should I be eating/what should I be eating?

Replies

• FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height. BMIs say that you should weigh anywhere from 117 to 155. Depends on your frame though. Also on your body fat percentage. For me at this height I look good at 130. I really wouldn't be able to tell without looking at you if you need to gain weight at all but you do have a very underweight BMI.
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 119 lbs. and my sister is 5'2" 105 lbs. (when at her best weight, though right now she weighs 90 and looks like a scarecrow). In my opinion, you should probably weigh between 110 and 125, but it could be more or less depending on your body type, bone density, muscle, etc.

I can't tell you how much to eat, since I don't know you, but listen to your body and I'm sure it will tell you what a good amount is. Or you might ask a parent/friend, someone who knows your body and would be able to help you figure out how much is a healthy amount. As for what to eat, try to limit the processed foods and sugars and replace them with fruits, veggies, whole grains, protein, and good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, etc.). These healthy fats, especially, are what will help you gain the right amount of weight back.

You should also be exercising throughout this, if at all possible, so that you can gain muscle back, and not just "weight". This will also make it easier to gain because you'll feel better and better about your body as the numbers go up. If you find it hard to physically consume enough food to gain weight: eat higher calorie foods, or try drinking a protein shake or something as a snack.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 years old and 5'5. I currently weigh around 92 pounds. How much weight should I gain, and how much should I be eating/what should I be eating?

Do you have anorexia? If so, you need to get help from a recovery team that specializes in eating disorders. There is much more to it than just starting to eat more.