The Scale...

mkandell7
mkandell7 Posts: 9
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Can anyone help me? I have been working out/eating the right way for about a month now and I'm seeing a slow change, but I know muscle weighs more than fat. I weigh myself everyday (I'm sure that's not the right thing to do), but I do a body test every day on My Wii Fit Plus. It calculates my BMI and weight. I know it's probably not 100% active. BUT! my problem is that it's never close to my actual scale that we keep in the kitchen. For example today it was at least 2lbs heavier than the what the Wii measured me at....does anyone know what's the best thing to go by?

Replies

• This is probably not a satisfying answer, but. The point is to get smaller than what you are now, right? So, you just have to be consistent. So, pick one scale to measure your progress. Pick the same time of day with similar levels of dress/undress. And, while any particular scale might shift very in terms of validity, unless its a wonky scale (and I don't know anything about the Wii, so maybe it is a wonky scale...), it should at least be reliable, ie, be accurate relative to itself. If you run around jumping on different scales, you're just going to drive yourself crazy. Any scale should be able to tell you how much you've lost. The rest, although it seems really important in the short run, isn't important in the long run. I've lost the equivalent of a 6 year old child, so, who cares if the scale at my mother's house tells me I'm 3 lbs heavier? But, still, even knowing that objectively, I *would* drive myself crazy if I ran over to her house all the time just to see what her scale said relative to mine.

Just breathe. Relax. And don't sweat the small stuff. Unless you're a boxer trying to make weight, this is one headache you don't need.

All my best, and keep at it! Consistency *will* win out over speed!
  • Choose one scale and stick with just that one. Also don't weigh yourself so much, it makes waiting for results like watching paint dry lol and don't worry if you go up and down a pound or two. When you weight train your muscles retain a lot of water while they are recovering so that will move the scale up. You should take measurement, that's how you really see your results!
  • personally i think the scale is your enemy lol, i know we need to check to see our progress however do not make it your life, i do the same thing sometimes and it drives me crazy. i have to step back and say its just a number and your working on getting healthier. first i can say on any given day i am 2-6 pounds heavier depending on what i do that day or eat for that matter if i go overboard on my salt etc... if i do a lot of cardio and lifting my muscles hold a lot of water as well. with that said i also have the wii and it is also about 2 pounds lighter than my bathroom scale, 4 pounds lighter than my doctor scale, so your saying omg now what well here is what i did. One pick one scale and stick to that one, base your weight loss off of that one you use everyday, weigh yourself at the same time everyday as well. when you go the doctors and it says you are heavier than you were at home chalk it up, you know what you are from your scale. As you lose no matter what scale you use it will go down. also sometimes the scale might not move but your clothes feel better, bottom line don't drive yourself crazy who is to say what scale is right, and you may be losing inches as well hope that helps!!!!!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Doesn't matter what scale you use as long as it is the same starting point,so you have a beginning and a goal to shoot for. Also not beneficial to weigh yourself everyday,kind of destroys your incentive to keep working to achieve your long term goal. Kind of like the stock market,goes up and down,but as long as you keep investing monthly you come out ahead. Go by how your clothes fit,are they becoming loose? I put new pants on a hanger and try on every week. If you are working at this daily you will see your body changing for the better. Shoot for a healthy lifestyle and everything will take care of it self.:smile:
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    I agree with them all - just use one scale, either the WII or the one in your kithcen. I love the WII! But do not wiegh yourself every day. Especially, being a woman, you have that wonderful weight gain once a month that can drive you crazy! Just weight on a regular basis, about the same time etc.... Mine is Monday a.m. before getting ready for work. Sometimes, when you have those days that you feel lighter or heavier, I'll either weigh an extra time that week or not at all! Don't let it rule your life, it is only a tool.
  • Thanks everyone!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.