MACRO RESET DISASTER....

Options
As I am writing this post i am finishing a bowl of ice cream and honey.... and its disgusting, lol. As you have read on my subject title, this meal 4 is actually an extra meal for me to balance out my carbs intake, it was all sweet in MFP, all numbers are picture perfect but to my surprise, eating weis sorbet frozen yogurt top with honey is not the best in the world.... Anyone had the same disaster like this... ALL IN THE NAME OF HITTING YOUR MACROS... lol

Replies

• betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think trying to get all the macros perfect is an unnecessary complication. I find that aiming for the recommended calorie deficit, exercise taken into account, and concentrating on eating healthily (lean protein, healthy fats, watch the added salt and added sugar, lots of fruit and vegies) does it for me. The macros can look after themselves. But I notice in your food diary you are taking all sorts of supplements, so perhaps you are doing serious weight training or something? Does that make it more important to focus on the macros?
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's worth eating something that's not very healthy and that you don't enjoy much just to meet your macros. I try to get as close to my protein target as possible, but I try not to stress too much about fats (except that high-fat days end with stomach aches for me) and carbs (since I'm usually under or over a bit, it all balances out).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,234 Member
    Options
    Don't eat food you don't like. And I think the idea is to meet or exceed your protein and fat macros, and let the carbs fall where they fall. So as long as you've met or exceeded your protein and fat, it's OK if your carbs are under. My ratios are a bit different for different reasons, but if you're following the standard iifym, carbs are the "leftovers" (meaning whatever you have after you get your protein and fat). And don't eat food you don't like.
  • MylesDeShazo
    Options
    Off topic, but how do you get that bar you have that says how many pounds left until your goal?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Haaaa... that evil macro reset and trying to hit all them macros before it's too late!!
    Fat wise i am done with pre-work out and tend to go lean after my work out / dinner.
    Protein, a scoop of casein before bed or whilst sleeping is my last 30 grams needed to hit target.
    For carbs. I tend to go for pop corns (air popped) or if i stay up late pop tarts in my casein shake before hitting the sack.

Agreed - lemon sorbet and honey does not sound that appealing.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    the weight loss ticker can be found by clicking on the APPS tab, then click on tickers :smile:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    forget that silly %fats/%carbs/%protein method for determining your macros. it's wrong.

set your macros based on your body weight and LBM and not on your daily calories.

fats = 0.35g/lb of bodyweight. this is a daily minimum.

protein = 1.0g/lb of LBM. this is a daily minimum.

your LBM (lean body mass) is equal to (100% - BF%) x (bodyweight), where BF is your body fat %.

this way you have FIXED macro goals to meet or exceed every day for your fats and protein regardless of your calorie goal or exercise calories. once you meet those daily minimums, you can fill up the rest of your calories with whatever mix of fats/protein/carbs you want.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything worse than honey on icecream. Not sure why. Maple syrup I could do with chopped peanuts and malted milk powder ;) Actually I did that every night when pregnant with first child and no wonder I got fat but damn was it ever good!
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Haaaa... that evil macro reset and trying to hit all them macros before it's too late!!
    Fat wise i am done with pre-work out and tend to go lean after my work out / dinner.
    Protein, a scoop of casein before bed or whilst sleeping is my last 30 grams needed to hit target.
    For carbs. I tend to go for pop corns (air popped) or if i stay up late pop tarts in my casein shake before hitting the sack.

I planned tomorrow's better than today, no more frozen yogurt and honey together and I was able to squeeze in some BONDI BURGER from oporto and choc fudge.... my goodness, last minute changes, working long day tom. no time for cooking hence the burger, lol
  • joan23_us
    Options
    forget that silly %fats/%carbs/%protein method for determining your macros. it's wrong.

set your macros based on your body weight and LBM and not on your daily calories.

your LBM (lean body mass) is equal to (100% - BF%) x (bodyweight), where BF is your body fat %.

Actually did, LBM X 1.25 PROTEIN, LBM X 4 FATS and the rest for carbs whatever is left from my 2200 calories calculations.

this way you have FIXED macro goals to meet or exceed every day for your fats and protein regardless of your calorie goal or exercise calories. once you meet those daily minimums, you can fill up the rest of your calories with whatever mix of fats/protein/carbs you want.
  • joan23_us
    Options
    I think trying to get all the macros perfect is an unnecessary complication. I find that aiming for the recommended calorie deficit, exercise taken into account, and concentrating on eating healthily (lean protein, healthy fats, watch the added salt and added sugar, lots of fruit and vegies) does it for me. The macros can look after themselves. But I notice in your food diary you are taking all sorts of supplements, so perhaps you are doing serious weight training or something? Does that make it more important to focus on the macros?

YES, for better body composition track your macronutrients instead of calories, by default tracking macros you are tracking calories on the other hand if you are tracking calories only that doesnt mean you are getting enough protein or maybe going overboard with your fats.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've got a similar problem, I can't seem to get enough proteins, everytime I try to eat something that contains proteins my protein intake increases a little, but fats also keep increasing dangerously and carbs appear out of nowhere. It doesn't make much sense to me, I'll try not to care about it as long as I'm still losing weight.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ummmm i dont think the macro target indicates you have to eat crap

Carbs can be good carbs, not a bunch of sugar that you dont even like. Why not have some brown rice instead? Wont give you the sugar rush too

My suggestion is to plan out your meals for the day and then this wont happen

Also, if you arent measuring your intake properly or overestimating your exercise levels then you may be eating more than you need anyway
  • abadvat
    Options
    I've got a similar problem, I can't seem to get enough proteins, everytime I try to eat something that contains proteins my protein intake increases a little, but fats also keep increasing dangerously and carbs appear out of nowhere. It doesn't make much sense to me, I'll try not to care about it as long as I'm still losing weight.

Fail!

If the above is correct it seems like you need to look into and plan a bit better what you eat.
    Fat and carbs don't appear out of no where - a good variety of food will have protein, carbs and fat into it.
    It is essential to know what you are eating.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get ill or have negative side effects if you don't mit your macros perfectly on a single day. MFP is a platform for guidelines, not a perfect science. Aim to be near your macros over the course of a week but don't stress out and eat silly meals just to meet them on a daily basis. That's not what having a healthy balanced diet is all about.

On the other hand if you want to eat icecream with honey every now and then because you feel like it then go ahead, but don't do it in the name of MFP's macros.
  • abadvat
    Options

I planned tomorrow's better than today, no more frozen yogurt and honey together and I was able to squeeze in some BONDI BURGER from oporto and choc fudge.... my goodness, last minute changes, working long day tom. no time for cooking hence the burger, lol

I know the feeling fella - I was short on protein a nd fat last night... i was forced to throw down my salivating mouth some bacon!!
    8% BF - IIFYM and live happily ever after ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

No sure about the above seems a bit off to me.

I have my Macros set by percentages but that is because I use TDEE. They never change.

I know I want Min 120g or 30% of protien based on my LBM of 121lbs and my TDEE (BF% of 26% weight 165)
    Min fat is 25% based on my TDEE and the rest are carbs.

I hit protien and Fat Min and sometimes go over very rarely hitting my carb one...

That way when I do hit my protien and I have 200 calories left I eat ice cream...no honey tho ick. oh or cheesecake pops...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

No sure about the above seems a bit off to me.

I have my Macros set by percentages but that is because I use TDEE. They never change.

I know I want Min 120g or 30% of protien based on my LBM of 121lbs and my TDEE (BF% of 26% weight 165)
    Min fat is 25% based on my TDEE and the rest are carbs.

I hit protien and Fat Min and sometimes go over very rarely hitting my carb one...

That way when I do hit my protien and I have 200 calories left I eat ice cream...no honey tho ick. oh or cheesecake pops...

what i wrote is correct.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Fail!

If the above is correct it seems like you need to look into and plan a bit better what you eat.
    Fat and carbs don't appear out of no where - a good variety of food will have protein, carbs and fat into it.
    It is essential to know what you are eating.

Obviously carbs and fat don't get out of nowhere, they come from the food I eat...
    I meant that everything I eat seems to have always more carbs or fat than proteins, at least proportionally. I've tried to plan better what to eat, and I do know what I eat, but since I'm a vegetarian I can only get proteins from seitan, eggs, dairy or legumes. Unfortunately, dairy and eggs also carry too many fats (even "fat free" products... if I have a couple of spoons of extravirgin olive oil in my salads or just to cook throughout the day I'm already over!), and legumes also carry carbs, which are usually too much if added to my other meals. Vegetarian products usually have lots of proteins but I can't have them twice a day, because of the price.
    I'll make a couple of examples: yesterday I had a good day, because I stayed under my carbs intake (155 gr out of 183), but also stayed under my proteins (only 59 out of 73) and reached my fats allowed intake, which has been pre-settled by MFP to 49 gr (which already seems a LOT to me). It was a good day overall, considering that the day before I exceeded my carbs, and only had 41 gr of proteins out of 63.

The point is that I don't know enough about macros to set them by myself. If I could, I'd probably increase my protein intake and lower my fats intake, but I didn't choose those settings. Also, even though carbs take the biggest percentage in every diet, I would never like to reach my allowed intake or even exceed it, because I think that's going to make the weightloss process slower, but still, I don't know enough about it.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have something like cereal than ice cream and honey, I like chewing food lol