Meals with lots of ingredients logging

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on logging foods that are cooked for more than just myself. For instance, I sometimes make homemade chili and other crockpot meals that involve many ingredients. I know exactly how much of everything I put in, but I never know an easy way to account for the amounts that I am eating. Up until now, I have just been estimating. Who knows how close or far off I have been though. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they handle this kind of situation? Thanks!

Replies

• jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I would like suggestions on this as well. I make huge pots of chili or soups. I had a thought that I should weigh the total contents to get a better measurement for recipes. But haven't done so yet. A ten quart pot of soup is probably too heavy for my kitchen scale lol
  • beefcake1994
    beefcake1994 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    weight out ingredients individually lol
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Use the My Recipes tool - it asks you how many servings the recipe makes. That way you enter all the ingredients and it divides it up for you to tell you how many calories there are in a serving.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I usually measure the ingredients as I add them, then I immediately separate the dish into the amount of equal portions I want, and I divide the total measurement of the ingredient into the amount of portions.
  • lubug07
    lubug07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @kiwitechgirl Thank you! That sounds like what I need to do! Didn't know this was an option on here! I will give it a try from now on!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Use the My Recipes tool - it asks you how many servings the recipe makes. That way you enter all the ingredients and it divides it up for you to tell you how many calories there are in a serving.

I also have an 8 cup batter bowl with the measures on the side so it's easy with things like soup and chili as some of it cooks off when you simmer so to be sure I use that and if the calories seem high per serving I reduce the serving a bit by increasing the number of servings if you have too much dish it out into single serves and freeze em
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use the my recipe tool to input the number of servings and all of the ingredients. Then I'll usually tare out a serving dish, weigh out the entire dish (like the entire pot of soup/chili/whatever) and then divide that by the number of servings it's supposed to make--that number is the weight of one serving. I feel like it takes at least some of the guesswork out of it!
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    weight out ingredients individually lol

Or that. Lol, jeez. :blushing:
  • Glens_Life
    Glens_Life Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use Recipes tool for things with a lot of ingredients or things with only two or three that I eat frequently.