Jump rope people

Options
I'm learning how to jump rope any good tips? I keep double hopping (hopping twice each time) and my wrists want swing the rope faster.

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    What kind of rope are you using? I would suggest a light speed rope, vinyl, those things are great and very light. You can picked them up almost anywhere for $7-8.
    Best tip is to skip often, no other way around it, to stop double hoping, you'll need a faster rotation from the rope, which hopefully, the speed rope will help that. Try alternating feet each jump, it takes practice and rhythm, but once you have it down, it makes skipping a lot more efficient. Also, skip on one leg, alternating after 5 or so, will help with balance, and keeping yourself centered.

If you have a round timer, you can skip 3min/60 sec rest.
    Tabata workout: 20w/10r with a skip rope.
    1min skip/1 min rest
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing it too much right now, but I did do it for a while. I happened upon this video on youtube where Adriana Lima show her workout (the jump rope is near the end):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQf-U1aez8
    It seemed like fun and it was, but it'll make sweat! The moves were hard at first, but after a while I got the hang of it. I like doing this kind of training since the fun moves keep me entertained so the time flies by. I put all the moves and times into an interval timer on my phone, so it was a simple workout too. I'm not an expert on this by any mean though. But my husband is getting into it now, so I'm going to keep watching for tips for him too!
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ok update first day sucked. Then came back to it and shortened the rope. I jumped 500!
  • thecat0369
    Options
    Tapata jump rope is very effective, and miserable.
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What kind of rope are you using? I would suggest a light speed rope, vinyl, those things are great and very light. You can picked them up almost anywhere for $7-8.
    Best tip is to skip often, no other way around it, to stop double hoping, you'll need a faster rotation from the rope, which hopefully, the speed rope will help that. Try alternating feet each jump, it takes practice and rhythm, but once you have it down, it makes skipping a lot more efficient. Also, skip on one leg, alternating after 5 or so, will help with balance, and keeping yourself centered.

1min skip/1 min rest

I have no idea what 20w/10r means - please explain
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to be part of a jump rope demonstration team (way back in the good old days) and remember a few of the "rope rules" :)

1) a speed rope is definitely the best (it's what we always used for tricks)
    2) the length of your rope is determined by height... stand on the center of your rope, the handles should be at rib level (halfway between your hip and armpit) If your rope is too long, tying a knot in it on each side by the handles works well.
    3) when speed roping, alternate feet for each jump, jump needs to be no more than 1-1.5 inches off the ground, and counts are only on one foot. (for instance it's only a count every time the right foot hits the ground)
    4) just jumping can get REALLY boring so try picking up a few tricks like criss crosses and double unders, or adding cancans to your routines.

Hope this helps. I had a lot of fun doing this as a kid. Unfortunately for me now, jumping off of mini trampolines and making a bad landing in the ropes did a number on the knees.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

1min skip/1 min rest

I have no idea what 20w/10r means - please explain

I apologize! I should of explained.
    Tabata uses 20 secs intervals at full Intensity (20w), with 10 secs rest in between (10r)
    w=work
    r=rest
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    alright I will go and get a speed jump rope. So far my only complaint jump roping is my ankles are starting to hurt.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Make sure you land softly. And don't jump on concrete. Wood floor, mats, grass, something with give.

Other than that, it's just practice.