Why do you want to lose weight?

Options
So this is a question I've been asked a lot recently, so I was wondering what everyone's reason for losing weight is?

Personally Ive been overweight my entire life and I get rude comments on a daily basis. I just want to be the best me I can be and I want to be happy and confident with my body. I want to wear nice clothes and well, look and feel sexy to be honest. I also want to be fitter and healthier and be able to run without being exhausted 5minutes later. I have struggled with depression for many years and its well known that exercise can improve mood, I definitely can feel it.

SW: 190 lbs / 86kgs
CW: 170 lbs / 76kgs
GW: 140 lbs / 65 kgs +/-

Height: 5'44" / 1.66m

Replies

• Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My SW and GW seem very similar to yours. I started off at 83 kgs and I am now at 69, I'd like to reach 65 soon.
    Anyway I've been trying to find a reason for why I'm doing this, but the most representative is surely because I need it. :)
  • mandijjones
    mandijjones Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight so that I can walk without pain (I have a spinal deformity), be a good healthy role model for my son, and to keep my husband interested (we committed to each other at a healthy weight and it's not fair that either of us get heavy.) And honestly I just feel better when I am lighter....exercising is easier, sleeping is better, walking to and from in general is more enjoyable.....It's just better. :)
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I lost all the unwanted weight... now I need to gain so I can look good naked!
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    - To feel good about myself
    - To look good in clothes without the bumps
    - To have a flat stomach with slight abs
    - To not have a beer belly

:)
  • googlebear123
    Options
    leaner i go into my bulk, longer i can bulk for.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Because, I have hypermobility syndrome and when I'm heavy, I'm have the movements of my 80 year old mother. My feet hurt, my hips ache and my knees make noises like a landrover on a gravel driveway. My back constantly wants to pop out and my joints pop like firecrackers if I stand up after sitting still for too long. (My husband will chuckle and say, "clunk, click, every trip" in reference to the UK seatbelt safety advisory advert). Any sudden movement will cause excruciating pain in anyone of my joints. But worst of all, I can't run. And if I can't run, I can't do triathlon.

But, if I lose weight, life is better and the pain is less.
  • lisajuliette
    lisajuliette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have a lot of support? To be honest I only have one friend who really believes in me. She's my best friend and a total fitness junkie. I really wanna be able to keep up with her in the gym. I feel so blessed to have her. She's so encouraging, always willing to work out with me and motivate me, congratulates me on every little bit I lose and makes me feel good about myself. I really think support is such an important thing to have.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have a lot of support? To be honest I only have one friend who really believes in me. She's my best friend and a total fitness junkie. I really wanna be able to keep up with her in the gym. I feel so blessed to have her. She's so encouraging, always willing to work out with me and motivate me, congratulates me on every little bit I lose and makes me feel good about myself. I really think support is such an important thing to have.

Never had such a fit friend even though my best friend is always dieting or talking about it so we're on the same boat... at least we can relate! And we always do our best to appreciate each other, even when we're not at our best :)
  • Qos_
    Qos_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mainly because I was fed up with not being able to buy clothes off of the shelf, I could only buy what was available, regardless of style. Also because being fat impacted on my health, happiness and relationships... people judge you and are almost embarrassed of you when you are chubby.

Also as a result of working hard, I am totally addicted to Spinning and Cycling and being lighter makes me faster and harder to beat.. Bonus!

I do get some support, starting is the hardest part.. people are keen to knock you, use as fuel to kick their *kitten*! My GF has shifted serious weight and is super motivated, her involvement makes daily workouts and eating easier, there are no fights!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Because when I'm not overweight or as overweight as I am, I feel better about everything else in my life. The fatter I am, the worse I feel about everything else...
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Because when I'm not overweight or as overweight as I am, I feel better about everything else in my life. The fatter I am, the worse I feel about everything else...
    Ain't that the truth. When I stress, I eat too much. When I eat too much, I stress. Something very different needs to be done to break the cycle; medicate stress with calm and/or exercise.

I want to lose weight to feel lighter on the inside, both mind and body. And I want my body to enable me to do things rather than be a sort of a hindrance. Many hindrances I've created myself and I could easily do various things, but it boils down to not feeling good in my own skin right now. That has to change.
  • Jill814
    Jill814 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    - to be able to buy clothes that arent in the plus section, to go in any store and know my size will be there, to FINALLY buy cute clothes not just settle for what is in my size
    - to be able to fit in ALL the rides at the parks
    - to look good in what i wear and not look like i put something on and then was inflated with air
    - to out run my very active kids
    - to feel good about my self so that i can be the girly girl i know i am but that is in hiding because fat is just not pretty on me
    - to be able to sit with my knees in my chest and not feel like when i do that i am cutting off air supply and can only last for a min.
    - to be able to take pictures with my family, i LOVE taking pictures but i leave my self out of them because i dont want to remember how fat i am, when i was thinner i was such a photo ham too!
    - to be able to see the hard work from the gym pay off, i am a strong girl and i know i have muscle underneath the flubber and would love to see that when i am busting my butt, some muscle starting to take shape
  • roadglide09
    roadglide09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My diabetes is out of control and I want to be healthier. My weight has been an issue my entire life and am really tired of going up and down, just need healthy eating.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am sick of the dIly anguish and always thinking about wt loss. I had lost and maintained and gained back 12 lbs. my clothes are tight and I am pissed at myself. I want this weight off and I want to eat healthy for life and not obsess daily.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Health is the number one reason for me.

Second is the fact that for most of my life I was thin, and I just don't feel like me when I carry extra weight.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    Arthritis runs in my family, and if i develop it I don't want the extra weight.

So my mother and father in law stop asking my husband behind my back if I'm "healthy" and telling him they're worried about my weight while lying to my face about how "nice" I look.

So nobody can ever call me fat, ever again.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    - Better mood and self esteem
    - Physical improvement and less pain
    - I'm planning on making a new start by moving to Texas or New Orleans from Maine sometime this year. I would like my body to reflect that new start before I go
    -Bathing suits, tank tops and shorts that come along with living in the south
    - To turn heads even though I'm married
  • Chemburly12
    Options

I didn't have a lot of support in the beginning but in all fairness that was my fault, I didn't tell anyone I was trying to lose weight. After it started to become noticable my friends and family would congratulate me and be supportive in that way but I've never had a fit-friend to work out with or anything like that.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    -Win track cycling nationals again, which I can only do at my lowest body fat...
    -stop comparing my body to others
    -to wear a crop top and feel good about it!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have a few reasons listed on my profile, but honestly I don't feel emotionally attached to any of my reasons. I just decided it's time to figure this out and I started from where I was. No big grand scheme. I had a few ideas kicking around but eventually let them go and just kept tweaking and adjusting until I liked the plan.

I teach nutrition - and that made me uncomfortable to not be able to walk the walk as well as talk the talk - BUT in the end - I teach it once per year and the rest of the time that discomfort is dulled and unimportant.

My parents were diabetic and I want to avoid that - that's a strong motivator for most, but overall, I rarely think about it.

Shopping in regular stores - I do LOVE cute clothing ... but I know where to get cute things in my size usually so most days it's not a big deal.

AND finally
    Fitting into carnival rides - the local carnival when it comes to town - my friend's GD loves scary rides and one day I'd like to ride with her - that day is years out and I got loads of time to do it so it's not a serious motivator. AND I've been to Holiday World - those rides are designed for the corn fed folks of the world and I fit just fine there. So not especially motivating either.

I guess just to prove to myself I can is my biggest reason. I'm ready to figure it out and find my path. Big grand reasons provided for the public. True reason - just to do it.