What people really look like...

Options
msf74
msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
from here: http://dalefavier.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/what-people-really-look-like.html

Be kind to yourself. Enjoy your day ;)

ps: I am not the author but I wish I was!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Women have cellulite, men have silly buttocks.

I’ve been a massage therapist for many years, now. I know what people look like. People have been undressing for me for a long time. I know what you look like: a glance at you, and I can picture pretty well what you’d look like on my table.

Let’s start here with what nobody looks like: nobody looks like the people in magazines or movies. Not even models. Nobody. Lean people have a kind of rawboned, unfinished look about them that is very appealing. But they don’t have plump round breasts and plump round *kitten*. You have plump round breasts and a plump round *kitten*, you have a plump round belly and plump round thighs as well. That’s how it works. (And that’s very appealing too.)

Woman have cellulite. All of them. It’s dimply and cute. It’s not a defect. It’s not a health problem. It’s the natural consequence of not consisting of photoshopped pixels, and not having emerged from an airbrush.

Men have silly buttocks. Well, if most of your clients are women, anyway. You come to male buttocks and you say -- what, this is it? They’re kind of scrawny and the tissue is jumpy because it’s unpadded; you have to dial back the pressure, or they’ll yelp.

Adults sag. It doesn’t matter how fit they are. Every decade, an adult sags a little more. All of the tissue hangs a little looser. They wrinkle, too. I don’t know who put about the rumor that just old people wrinkle. You start wrinkling when you start sagging, as soon as you’re all grown up, and the process goes its merry way as long as you live. Which is hopefully a long, long time, right?

Everybody on a massage table is beautiful. There are really no exceptions to this rule. At that first long sigh, at that first thought that “I can stop hanging on now, I’m safe” – a luminosity, a glow, begins. Within a few minutes the whole body is radiant with it. It suffuses the room: it suffuses the massage therapist too. People talk about massage therapists being caretakers, and I suppose we are: we like to look after people, and we’re easily moved to tenderness. But to let you in on a secret: I’m in it for the glow.

I’ll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Beautiful. Thank you for posting it. :smile:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone was from a profession such as this person's or at least was at one time. I'm sure anyone who deals with true human bodies daily is more accepting and understanding of all bodies!

I remember being super self-conscious to get my side tattooed (and this was when I was smokin' hot). My fiance said "They (tattoo artists) all have old ladies, they know what women really look like. And imagine some of the super nasty people they get in their chairs daily." It made me feel better knowing that (at the time) I was probably a client they would be just fine with seeing less clothed.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful article.
    Thanks for sharing
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    This is good stuff. Realistic body image is important.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing :):):flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :smooched:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Oh, I loved this! You see energy :flowerforyou:
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Needed to hear this! Thanks!!
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great article, was very uplifting this morning. Just what I needed, Thanks:love:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    This is great, thank you for sharing!
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow! That was sweet. Thanks for posting.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Very nice...thank you for sharing...
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I love this. Thanks for sharing this article!!
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Love this! It takes all kinds of kinds :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I’ll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.

I liked this sentence the best!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I struggle so much with my body image.
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So thoughtfully, truthfully and creatively written!!! Thank you for sharing!
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love this! I tend to focus so much on my flaws and I should focus on being proud of what I've accomplished and what is still to come :)