How do you sweeten your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well this probably isn't going to help with calories, but I like to cook mine in apple juice. I usually only make it on the weekend and then i add jameson and european style butter. Needless to say I don't eat oatmeal very often (I use rolled oats all the time though).
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Honey :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar or maple syrup
  • karengetsfit
    karengetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk instead of regular milk and that makes it sweeter. For toppings, I use coca powder, vanilla extract, and bananas :) nom nom
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use sweetened almond milk instead of regular milk -- only 24 kcal per 100 ml
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use whole oats which I soak in water overnight first, then rinse and blend with raw stevia, almond milk and a little sea salt which is really tasty when warmed. I've also eaten it cold blended with avacado which is also nice.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar, maple syrup, PB and honey, jam, chopped fresh or dried fruit. I did a few Hershey kisses the other day.
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    agave ;)
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person in the world who has no problem eating steel-cut oatmeal plain. I don't mind it sweet, but I also don't mind it plain, either, so I figure why waste the calories. I pre-cook a big batch on the weekend and then freeze in 1/2 cup portions to reheat during the week. If it ends up a little thick/dry after reheating I'll add a splash of unsweetened almond milk to loosen it up.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    My favorites are bananas and dried apricots.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I add some cinnamon, vanilla and peanut butter. Brown sugar is good too.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    flavored coffee creamer, sometimes sugar in the raw and dry fruits.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Well this probably isn't going to help with calories, but I like to cook mine in apple juice. I usually only make it on the weekend and then i add jameson and european style butter. Needless to say I don't eat oatmeal very often (I use rolled oats all the time though).

This looks like something I need to try! How much Jameson and butter do you add?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    Currently still trying to use up the leftover cranberry sauce from Christmas.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options

This looks like something I need to try! How much Jameson and butter do you add?

I'm not real exact on the butter i guess i would say a "pat" since i slice off 1/4" or so of a slice off of the 1/2 pound (2 wide) stick of plugra butter i use. Jameson I usually do a half shot for 1 cup of (uncooked) oats, but don't put it in until the last 5 minutes or so. I was inspired by overnight irish cream porridge that I had one morning in Ireland where they put Jameson on it cold (so it didn't even cook out at all!)
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    sugar free coffee creamer, it makes it creamy and sweet
  • salendire
    Options
    Coconut sugar is my newest, and most loved, sweetener at the moment!
  • Judyls6
    Judyls6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • girlinteepee
    girlinteepee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dried cranberries and raisins, canned fruit
  • ModQuad
    Options
    Lots of great ideas on this thread. I'll throw in my techniques:

- Add more fruit than oats (most people do more oats than fruits)
    - Use dense, sweet fruits like apples, bananas, & pears instead of berries.
    - Heat your fruit and add a pinch of sea salt to bring out their juices.
    - Use citrus fruits and brulée them to add a sweet/bitter flavor.
    - Mix in yogurt, especially Greek yogurt for a sweet/tangy flavor (and extra protein!)
    - Make it with unsweetened almond milk with vanilla flavoring.
    - Soak oats overnight in water with spices like cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon.
    - Just add 1-2 tsp honey/maple/sugar, etc. Use 1-2tbsp less oats to compensate for the calories.