Water................h2o...........having problems drinking

Options
Is it okay to have the water with crystal light packets?? After drinking water all day, sometimes I want to add a little flavour to it!

Replies

• leblancb
    leblancb Posts: 47
    Options
    Is it okay to have the water with crystal light packets?? After drinking water all day, sometimes I want to add a little flavour to it!
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light contains Aspartame. Aspartame is toxic. This is just ONE of the many articles regarding the dangers of ingesting Aspartame ~ Truthfully, I do not know why these products are still on store shelves.

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm

Nestle has a similar product derived from Splenda (which is derived from sugar but I believe is chemically altered sugar) and its good but as I was told....Why not just do sugar? At least its a natural product.

I would be hard pressed to eat anything "chemically altered:"

One thing you might try which is completely natural is using herbal teas as flavouring ie. make a pot of herbal tea and treat it as iced tea or just a slice of lemon in your water.

Lemon has many redeeming properties. A slice of lemon in a cuppa hot water settles an upset stomach...especially if you start eating alot of veggies and you aren't used to it.
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    honestly as long as you aren't having it all the time then i don't see the problem. I have a diet coke every once in a while becasue I need something other than water!
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    I agree Rebecca but for all accounts and purposes all the literature suggests that Aspartame is addictive and will eventually lead to people drinking more and more "diet pop" and gaining weight while doing it....I know its crazy and I know I sound fanatical with it but just google it and read article after article.

I'm not obsessive or fanatical but I DO have two major disease and I have to really watch what I am eating or I pay heavy for it. I'm sure leblancb can identify with it...Celiacs is no fun!

Life is just too short to be defeated by a can or bottle of "diet pop" (crystal light is included with that). Weight loss at any price is one that most can't afford.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    I use crystal light on occassion, the raspberry ice is really good. As far as the aspertame thing goes , make your own decision. I've been using Aspertame sweetner * Sweet N Low* since I was pregnant with my son almost 7 yrs ago. I had gestational diabetes, wasnt allowed sugar or the others sweetner products such as sugar twin because the ones found in sugar twin cause birth deffects. I was scared to use aspertame and spoke to many doctors before using it. The consensus with them was the same. Unless you are drinking in excess more that 48 cans of diet pop per DAY, this is not going to harm you. As I said though there are many articles on aspertame some supporting some against , make your own decision :flowerforyou:
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    Respectively and for my own enlightenment BlazinEmerald, would you happen to have a url that supports the use of Aspartame because in all honesty I've never seen one and if I am wrong with what I posted I would like the opportunity to correct myself.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I use the Propel packets to add flavoring. I don't use it full strength. Just enough in there to give it a little bit of flavor. I love the melon flavor and the strawberry kiwi flavor. I have a hard time just drinking plain water also.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    http://www.aspartame.org/index.html Has a listing of the facts the myths , the experts and the FAQ on aspartame. It isn't for everyone but it works for me , and I feel safe using it. Like I said earlier its for everyone to make their own decision. All the best :flowerforyou:
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    Great ...thanks BlazinEmerald. I hope you didn't get the impression that my opinion constituted anyone making their own minds up...I'm totally not like that. I guess I never saw that one basically because I look for independent studies.

After reading through the Aspartame link you provided, its just my opinion that taking a foreign substance of questionable character into my body isn't probably a great thing. It's probably a dumb analogy but years ago, cigarettes were safe too according to the powers that be...to each their own and power to em!:drinker:
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    I look at it like this: I don't eat red meat, high-sodium foods or other fatty foods. I exercise 5-7 times a week. I have 20 lbs. to lose after having two babies in 2 years. If I want crystal light or any other water additive, I'm going for it.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Try taking water and your favorite fruit and boil them together. Strain it into a pitcher and put in fridge. Serve with some ice. UUMM good.
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ooh yum, icandoit, sounds delicious!

i say go for it with the crystal light if it helps you get your water down. i alternate my days. every other day i drink plain water then water w/ crystal light so that i'm not drinking it every day, but i don't get sick of plain water either. also, i only use one packet of crystal light for the 1.5 lit container i use for water (which is like 48 oz) and so it's much more dilluted than the crystal light's serving size. they say 1 pack=16 oz water. then for my other water during the day, i usually drink a carbonated water like canada dry's line. it isn't sweetened, it's just water with bubbles LOL so no cals or carbs, a little sodium though :smile:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    YES! Go for the Crystal Light if it gets the water in! If you are concerned about artificial sweetner than make the mixture less potent by mixing it in a larger bottle than recommended.

Good luck!
  • picklejunkie
    Options
    my suggestion is to take pomogranate juice and add a little to the water. it is so tart that you don't need much to flavor a lot of water and i'ts good for you. make your own decision on the aspartame idea i've heard things both ways. also be srue you aren't drinking too much water. 32oz is about right on a day you aren't excersizing (this does change form person to person) but the whole 8 glasses a day actually had no medical founding. good luck! :)
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    green tea
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    You can always add lemon to your water too. Another trick (if you aren't a sweet tea junkie - I live in GA) is to make unsweetened, decaffinated tea. It will get the water in big time! Plus, it has a lot of added antioxidents.