Magnesium and Chocolate cravings

joleenl
joleenl Posts: 739 Member
Normally I am the biggest chocolate addict alive then it gets worse during PMS. I'm considering taking a magnesium supplement to see if it helps with the cravings. So my questions are: Have any of you had any success with magnesium supplements and chocolate cravings? What supplement do you take? What brand? What's the daily dosage? Please share your story.

I read it may help with my muscle cramps and fatigue. I also suffer from insomnia too which it may help that too. I read the daily recomended dosage is 350mg.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Normally I am the biggest chocolate addict alive then it gets worse during PMS. I'm considering taking a magnesium supplement to see if it helps with the cravings. So my questions are: Have any of you had any success with magnesium supplements and chocolate cravings? What supplement do you take? What brand? What's the daily dosage? Please share your story.

I read it may help with my muscle cramps and fatigue. I also suffer from insomnia too which it may help that too. I read the daily recomended dosage is 350mg.

Thanks in advance.

Chocolate cravings are often a result of magnesium deficiency (about 60% of the population reportedly is deficient in magnesium). Chocolate is rich in magnesium but it is best to get the darkest you can find as the milk solids in milk chocolate block the uptake of beneficial polyphenols as well as magnesium up take. Dark chocolate is one of the few foods that helps your body to repair its DNA.

The biggest problem with magnesium supplements is that they often cause diarrhea and that doesn't help if you just end up excreting as much (or even more) as you take in.

A better way, of course is to get magnesium compounds in eating fruits and vegetables. The magnesium in grain is not very usable because the phytic acid in grain blocks the uptake of minerals. Cutting down on grain and upping vegetables in particular, usually helps a LOT.

If you still feel that you may be magnesium deficient (muscle cramps are usually a symptom of some kind of mineral deficiency) there are other ways of ensuring adequate levels. I use Epsom salts (Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate) baths a couple of times a week. You actually absorb the magnesium right through your skin--especially if you are deficient. There is another product that you can find at your health food store called "magnesium oil" which isn't oil--it is concentrated magnesium chloride (concentrated from sea water). You rub it into your skin after a bath or shower. Salts of various sorts have a moisturizing effect, (most bath salts contain Epsom salts) so not to worry that it will dry out your skin.

Finally, muscle cramps can also be from a lack of sodium but in people who exercise a lot, magnesium deficiency is usually the culprit--as we normally salt our food to taste and we often get MORE than enough sodium if we eat processed food. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member

Thanks in advance.

Chocolate cravings are often a result of magnesium deficiency (about 60% of the population reportedly is deficient in magnesium). Chocolate is rich in magnesium but it is best to get the darkest you can find as the milk solids in milk chocolate block the uptake of beneficial polyphenols as well as magnesium up take. Dark chocolate is one of the few foods that helps your body to repair its DNA.

The biggest problem with magnesium supplements is that they often cause diarrhea and that doesn't help if you just end up excreting as much (or even more) as you take in.

A better way, of course is to get magnesium compounds in eating fruits and vegetables. The magnesium in grain is not very usable because the phytic acid in grain blocks the uptake of minerals. Cutting down on grain and upping vegetables in particular, usually helps a LOT.

If you still feel that you may be magnesium deficient (muscle cramps are usually a symptom of some kind of mineral deficiency) there are other ways of ensuring adequate levels. I use Epsom salts (Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate) baths a couple of times a week. You actually absorb the magnesium right through your skin--especially if you are deficient. There is another product that you can find at your health food store called "magnesium oil" which isn't oil--it is concentrated magnesium chloride (concentrated from sea water). You rub it into your skin after a bath or shower. Salts of various sorts have a moisturizing effect, (most bath salts contain Epsom salts) so not to worry that it will dry out your skin.

Finally, muscle cramps can also be from a lack of sodium but in people who exercise a lot, magnesium deficiency is usually the culprit--as we normally salt our food to taste and we often get MORE than enough sodium if we eat processed food. Hope this helps. :smile:

Helps alot! Thanks. Unfortunately I can't use epsom salts. I am one of those rare people who react from them but the magnesium oil I'll definately look into.
  • Hi, I am also a massive chocolate addict :) one thing that really helps is to eat raw cacao powder instead. It is really high in magnesium and gives you that chocolate hit without all the calories and sugar! I stir a heaped teaspoon in to my coffee but you could also have it mixed in with greek yoghurt, i think that would be tasty. you can get raw cacao powder from health food stores and it's not too expensive - pretty sure it's cheaper than magnesium supplements!
    just a tip though - if you have insomnia it's probably best to have the cacao in the morning because it has some type of stimulant in it (not caffeine but similar). hope that helps!! :)