Why Does It Feel Like Starting Over Every Time?

Options
Sometimes I am forced to go a couple of weeks without riding my bike. When I am riding 3x a week, I notice significant improvements on my stamina and strength, but if I take even a couple of weeks off, when I get on it feels like I'm starting over from square one. Surely I can't lose gains that quickly, right?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You sure can! This is why consistency is so important! A few days won't make a difference but weeks? Yep! One of those sucky realizations I know but great incentive to stay consistent! :)
  • JessiMattson
    Options
    I haven't noticed as big of a restart with cardio. I was off for two weeks and the first 10 minutes on the elliptical when I got back were horrid but the rest of the hour was fine once I settled in. Lifting, though? Ugh. Took me 3 sessions to get back up to my before work trip/vacation two week weights!
  • mattketring
    Options
    You essentially are starting over. Maybe not back at the beginning, but you're not where you were. Its rough.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. While this loss in stamina is more often related to strength training, it's also possible in cardio, especially if you're doing higher intensity (or working towards certain goals like long distance, higher resistance) and therefore asking more of your body. It may also have to do with your nutrtion during those weeks off from exercise. If you're trying to go too low with your calories and/or not getting enough protein, you are likely losing muscle mass during your down time.