Northeast Blizzard Coming ...

Options
sullus
sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
In the northeast when heavy snow is approaching, people flood the stores to pick up bread and milk. What I'm wondering is; I went shopping on Sunday, and indeed purchased bread and milk - can I use this bread and milk for the impending blizzard, or do I have to stop on the way home tonight just to get bread and milk specifically for this blizzard?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the eggs!!

Apparently everyone makes French Toast in a snow storm!!

Me? I head to the liquor store, order some Chinese food .. and wait it out! haha
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the eggs!!

Me? I head to the liquor store, order some Chinese food .. and wait it out! haha
    A couple of 6-packs and some Doritos is all you need for a blizzard.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Canned foods, candles, and battery flashlights. What happens when power goes out for an extended period of time and there's no refrigeration or heat?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Canned foods, candles, and battery flashlights. What happens when power goes out for an extended period of time and there's no refrigeration or heat?

Fire up the barbecue and have a feast!! Been there before, wouldn't be surprised if we had to do it again sooner or later!

I'm in eastern Canada. Yes, I could BBQ in a snowstorm...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    we have had it all bloody winter!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the eggs!!

A couple of 6-packs and some Doritos is all you need for a blizzard.
    and bacon...pancakes....make some bacon pancakes...take some bacon and I put it in a pancake....
    http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/11766774/ \m/
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you forgot toilet paper!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Refrigeration will not be a problem methinks........:laugh: :laugh:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I was just telling my boss if we ever were stuck in a "day after tomorrow" weather situation I'd be screwed. Although I do grocery shopping every 2 weeks... I am still a "pick up stuff for tonight's dinner" person... almost everyday. :) I'll be joining the masses after work today....
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    You need to get more bread and milk and as someone else pointed out, eggs.

We are ALWAYS snowed in for MONTHS at a time so it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    no, you MUST go to the store...

attachment.php?attachmentid=8693&stc=1&d=1387115643
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the eggs!!

THANK YOU!! I almost forget eggs and doomed us all ...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Screw the milk...stock up on C4 and whey protein.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Or vodka and beer. And condoms. There's always a baby boom after a big storm.
  • sunny145
    sunny145 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you forgot toilet paper!

Seriously! I've always wondered why people buy so much toilet paper. I mean, if the bread and milk runs out I doubt you'll keep needing more toilet paper. :laugh:
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Winter weather during the winter? Shocking!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I always laugh when I see people's choices at the grocery store. Perishables aren't the best option since there is no guarantee you'll have power! Especially not in NH, we have the worst infrastructure ever. Although it is improving with time. :) With temperatures like this, the snow won't be wet and heavy at least!

We had a severe ice storm in the Adirondacks way back in 1998 and most of the region lost power for a week or more. My father came home with the following in preparation:

1) Frozen pizza
    2) Gallon of milk
    3) Bag of Sun Chips
    4) Bag of Doritos
    5) Disposable camera

That was it. Well done, Dad! We still laugh about it now. The disposable camera was the only thing we used because the power went out the moment we put the pizza in the oven. Our neighbors across the street did NOT lose power so we finished cooking it in their house.
  • elwing
    elwing Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Boxed wine and some snacks that don't need cooking! (And extra matches for the fireplace if we're running low)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    More bread is ALWAYS the right answer!
  • cclarkcts
    Options
    Pretty sure your good with the refrigeration in a snow storm