Weight gain during period is really discouraging.

Options
I gain 2-3 pounds during my period and get extreme cravings the entire week of and the week before my monthly, so it's really hard to control my desire to eat. I usually eat my maintenance calories during those days. I try to exercise it off, but I always end up gaining the "water weight" regardless of how intense or how long I exercised. It takes me 1-2 weeks for the weight o go back to normal. So technically I only have one week where the scale is nice to me on a short cycle. I'm really discouraged during my period and feel like a whale. Anybody else feel this way? How do I counteract it?

Replies

• alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... Are you trying to gain weight or lose weight?
  • ObsessedMonster
    ObsessedMonster Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be on myfitnesspal if I wasn't trying to lose weight.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The best way I always found to reduce water weight on my period is to limit my salt intake and increase my water. It's hard, because I crave salt, but I find ways to ignore my cravings by diverting my focus and for some reason tea helps me too. If you find it discouraging, try not to weigh yourself that week either, because you know it's going to read higher than you like and than what your measurements actually reflect.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

She asked because you posted this on the "Goal: Gaining Weight" message board.
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I agree with the person above. I limit my salt intake too because that makes you retain water. I only drink water during my period because it helps me feel like I am less bloated.
  • ObsessedMonster
    ObsessedMonster Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh, my mistake. I thought the topic was about gaining weight as opposed to having the motive to do so.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    We can let our hormonal emotions take over if we let them during this time. Eating more protein can help you have less cravings. Also, make sure you're staying well hydrated so you don't confuse hunger and thirst. Plan some treats for yourself - it's really OK. But keep in mind that if you can't stay on top of your cravings and you eat at maintenance for two weeks out of the month you're not going to lose much weight.
    As far as the "weight gain", you know it's not real weight gain, right? It's going to happen whether you exercise or not. It's water weight, not fat weight. So why let it get to you? Or better yet, why weigh yourself during that time if you know it's going to get you down? If it's that much of an issue maybe you should rely more on measurements than the scale. You could weigh yourself once a month when you know you won't be holding on to premenstrual water weight to monitor your progress.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options

She asked because you posted this on the "Goal: Gaining Weight" message board.

exactly. I was about to respond and then realized what board it was on, which is why I asked for clarification. Gotta love people who get Snarky when someone asked for clarification on what they are needing help with.

I was going to suggest for you do just eat the best you can during those weeks and stay off the scale. The scale can be an enemy at times. And drink tons and tons of water!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i usually find myself most hungry the couple days before im bout to start. so then i know exactly when im going to start. lol. but usually my weight is not affected. lucky me.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky with the 2-3 lbs! I gain about 4-5 pounds during that time. Furthermore, before the weight magically appears on the scale, I will lose nothing according to the scale for a few days prior. But as soon as it's over I'm down my period weight and more.

Do drink lots of water. Try to avoid eating your cravings. Find lower calorie substitutes for what you crave.

I also tend to crave salt - not salty foods - just salt itself as someone else mentioned. I might indulge by putting a little salt on a few slices of cucumber and call it a day and try to reduce the rest of my sodium intake from processed foods etc.

I also want really heavy, hearty meals so I either have smaller portions of them or make them as healthy as I can. For example, if I eat a burger I'll make it with supreme lean ground beef and have half a bun and a ton of veggies.

Don't get discouraged. You know when it's coming and you can prepare yourself for it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is one solution. I think this is just...life. I don't have two full weeks of cravings but yesterday was pretty bad and I ate a maple bacon chocolate bar. It happens!

If you are able to stick to your maintenance through two weeks of cravings, good for you! Don't be discouraged. Work out as much as you can and drink a lot of water.

Most importantly, stay off the scale (I have to remind myself of this, too). It only brings grief and it's not an accurate representation of what's going on with your body. A tape measure is much better overall, but I wouldn't even bother with that until you are off your cycle.
  • urwhaturnot
    urwhaturnot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky with the 2-3 lbs! I gain about 4-5 pounds during that time. Furthermore, before the weight magically appears on the scale, I will lose nothing according to the scale for a few days prior. But as soon as it's over I'm down my period weight and more.

Do drink lots of water. Try to avoid eating your cravings. Find lower calorie substitutes for what you crave.

I also tend to crave salt - not salty foods - just salt itself as someone else mentioned. I might indulge by putting a little salt on a few slices of cucumber and call it a day and try to reduce the rest of my sodium intake from processed foods etc.

I also want really heavy, hearty meals so I either have smaller portions of them or make them as healthy as I can. For example, if I eat a burger I'll make it with supreme lean ground beef and have half a bun and a ton of veggies.

Don't get discouraged. You know when it's coming and you can prepare yourself for it.

I gain 4-5 pounds sometimes during my period. Like everyone said, try to limit your salt intake and drink lots of water. I try not to weigh during this week of the month. Sometimes I do just out of curiosity, but I have learned not to beat myself up if I see a weight gain because I know it is not a true gain and the next week will show great results.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    i usually find myself most hungry the couple days before im bout to start. so then i know exactly when im going to start. lol. but usually my weight is not affected. lucky me.

My appetite gets considerably large almost exactly a week before, and my suspicions are confirmed when I check the scale. You're lucky you don't gain much haha, I can gain anywhere from 2-5 lbs throughout the week. Luckily it disappears and then some when the time comes. Even though I'm not happy my period is starting, at least I can rest easy knowing I don't weigh as much anymore!
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Anybody know why this happens?
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options

All I heard was "physically, I don't bloat. It's a gift." :laugh: