Want definition in legs

2»

Replies

• Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Guy here - I managed to get pretty good definition in my legs by pretty much doing what you're doing. I used the leg press, leg extension, and leg anti-extension (adduction, maybe?) machines 3 times a week & followed that up with a hard 30-minute upright bike ride. Not the best regimen, for sure, but I got noticeable leg-muscle definition improvement in a few months.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    8-12 weeks depending on where you store the majority of your body fat. I personally store most in my hips and legs so it takes longer for progress to show in my lower body than my upper body.

Also, definition is mostly a product of losing fat which is mostly a diet issue, the lifting will just help reduce the loss of muscle while you're in a deficit.

I've got a big booty compared to the rest of my body.. and I'm not totally unhappy with my legs.. just want more definition. I feel like I carry most of it on my thighs. but I've been at squats for about 3 weeks now so hopefully start seeing results within the next month or 2!
  • allana1111
    Guy here - I managed to get pretty good definition in my legs by pretty much doing what you're doing. I used the leg press, leg extension, and leg anti-extension (adduction, maybe?) machines 3 times a week & followed that up with a hard 30-minute upright bike ride. Not the best regimen, for sure, but I got noticeable leg-muscle definition improvement in a few months.

Nice!! Yes sounds like what I'm doing but I do elliptical instead of bike. Squats, leg press, I think the same adduction machine you're talking about.... as well as upper body and ab workouts. I have made so much progress but going on the honeymoon.. cruise to Bahamas in june.. and I am determined to look my best for that!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Don't be afraid to go heavier than 135 on your squat. When I first started, I struggled with the empty bar. I was thrilled when I hit 135. Now, my one rep is 210 and I warm up on 135. I still have a lot of fat to lose, but my legs are looking better all the time.
  • Squats and running!
  • allana1111
    Don't be afraid to go heavier than 135 on your squat. When I first started, I struggled with the empty bar. I was thrilled when I hit 135. Now, my one rep is 210 and I warm up on 135. I still have a lot of fat to lose, but my legs are looking better all the time.

Sounds good!! WOO HOO that's good motivation
  • allana1111
    Squats and running!

Do you think running and elliptical are equally effective? I HATE running....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Squats and running!

Do you think running and elliptical are equally effective? I HATE running....
    I used to hate running, but I've gotten used to it. I will not get on a treadmill, I much prefer running outside. And better yet, I LOVE trail running. It's just fun. And I seriously feel it in my butt the next day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Sounds good!! WOO HOO that's good motivation

This...for sure

I have about 10lbs left (I think) before I am where I want to be and I squatted 150 last night...and I have some nice definition in my legs now...just littles bits under my bum and inner thigh now...

Diet for fat loss lifting to maintain Muscle mass.
  • allana1111
    squat every day or every other?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    squat every day or every other?

You'll be best served by following a program that tells you when to do what...I'd recommend Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

When I first started lifting, I followed Stronglifts and squatted three times per week. I'm now doing 5/3/1 and squat once a week.