Has this ever happened to anyone? (Mental games)

Options
I remember that, the last time or two that I had lost quite a bit and was at a healthy, attractive weight, I still felt "fat." My inside and outside never seemed to sync.

I have just recommitted to losing weight and am on day three of using MFP. I am doing well so far--staying within my calorie range and exercising--and even though I have a LONG way to go and it's FAR too early to see any real progress on the scale or in my clothes, I somehow "feel thinner" already. I am hoping that it's my brain trying to tell me that I am really ready to be serious about this and will succeed (lose AND maintain).

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Yes, it definitely takes a while for your mind to catch up with your body. You're so used to seeing yourself a certain way, and weight loss is such a subtle, slow change that you don't even realize your body is actually changing. That's why you might often hear people on here recommend taking periodic progress pictures - the pictures will often show what you don't see in the mirror.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    It's really common for people to not "see" their weight loss as it truly is, even once they reach goal.

I agree to take pictures along the way for comparison.

I think the other point to be made is that it takes a long time to lose a significant amount of weight. Somewhere during that time, we all feel like, "Ugh, this is taking forever," and can start looking for excuses to slack off. In my opinion that's when you should double down in your efforts - find more ways to succeed.

Just keep going. One day at a time.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have a quote that says " it takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing.It takes 8 weeks for your family and friends and it takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world."

I agree, some days I feel soooo much thinner than others.