I Don't Want To Get Too Big

Options
13»

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

And the trainer in my gym (years ago) told my that I would be rather successful if I started Olympic weightlifting because in his opinion I could easily gain the strength that is necessary for it.

Strength is not synonymous with muscle. My strength has skyrocketed, at the same time I am in a deficit. Because I am in a deficit, it is not because I added muscle. It is because my body is adapting to what I'm asking it to do and becoming stronger.

Then I got the article wrong. (English is not my native language). I thought if he states that there aren't different types of muscles and that you can just gain or not gain, he meant that you just train your muscle and how you train will not change whether you gain more strength or more volume or whatever. He just referred to what the muscles look like?

Your neurological system adapts to eek out great strength from existing muscle. Pretty cool that way!

And the author gives his answer, too, in the comments:
    "AWorkoutRoutine says

January 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Correct. Training primarily for strength (meaning you’re doing what’s most conducive for the goal of pure strength) will likely work well for building muscle assuming you eat to support it… but it would not work as well as if you trained primarily for muscle growth...."
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options

And the trainer in my gym (years ago) told my that I would be rather successful if I started Olympic weightlifting because in his opinion I could easily gain the strength that is necessary for it.

Strength is not synonymous with muscle. My strength has skyrocketed, at the same time I am in a deficit. Because I am in a deficit, it is not because I added muscle. It is because my body is adapting to what I'm asking it to do and becoming stronger.

Then I got the article wrong. (English is not my native language). I thought if he states that there aren't different types of muscles and that you can just gain or not gain, he meant that you just train your muscle and how you train will not change whether you gain more strength or more volume or whatever. He just referred to what the muscles look like?

Your neurological system adapts to eek out great strength from existing muscle. Pretty cool that way!

And the author gives his answer, too, in the comments:
    "AWorkoutRoutine says

January 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Correct. Training primarily for strength (meaning you’re doing what’s most conducive for the goal of pure strength) will likely work well for building muscle assuming you eat to support it… but it would not work as well as if you trained primarily for muscle growth...."

That's cool. So then I can just train for strength once I reached my goal weight and if that will get boring I can care about other things :) I really thought by saying you can just gain or not gain he said that hypertrophy vs. strength gains was nothing that could be influenced...
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump to read article later :)