The best gym equipment for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Haileyleavitt
    Options
    i have a love/hate relationship with the elliptical, but i do a lot of cardio, zumba and weights. cardio and weights seem to be the best way to go.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If your gym offers classes, that might be a good place to start so you can learn the proper technique and be guaranteed a full body work out and a proper stretch. Spinning burns more calories than most other classes, but mixing in some classes ith weights can be helpful, then you can progress to the weights in the weight area.
  • EuroDivas
    EuroDivas Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    From what I've noticed, the ellipticals burn more calories than the other machines that I've tried. I've recently joined a gym as well and I know I should get more into weights but am too intimidated. I have 2 free personal trainer sessions that came with my membership so I'll make sure to get help there.

Please take full advantage of your trainer sessions. Also make sure that they teach you the proper way to use the equipment.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Nothing looked the same. And why should I have to google what's IN A BOOK that's supposed to explain it all? It had photos and descriptions, but it was not helpful at all once I tried to incorporate it in reality.

I should have just googled in the first place and saved the money I spent on the useless book.

this guy figured it out
    I took each exercise, googled them, watched some videos, saved some pictures and hit the gym as soon as I could. It's fun, and works really well. I also googled alternatives, because I can't get my fat *kitten* to do a jackknife to save my life, so I found alternatives. It's a good place to start, and the book is cheap.

That being said - NROL is probably one of the more complicated programs. Try Starting Strength or Strong lifts.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You already own the best equipment you could ever wish for, your own body! Bodyweight exercises can go from the ridiculously easy to the monumentally hard, nigh on impossible for most mortals. You might be able to squat 400 pounds but can you do just one pistol squat?
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    there are lots of good answers but really, you need to find something you love to do and will stick with. Give all the cardio machines a try, who knows what you'll be drawn to, but definitely add lifting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Nothing looked the same. And why should I have to google what's IN A BOOK that's supposed to explain it all? It had photos and descriptions, but it was not helpful at all once I tried to incorporate it in reality.

I should have just googled in the first place and saved the money I spent on the useless book.

this guy figured it out
    I took each exercise, googled them, watched some videos, saved some pictures and hit the gym as soon as I could. It's fun, and works really well. I also googled alternatives, because I can't get my fat *kitten* to do a jackknife to save my life, so I found alternatives. It's a good place to start, and the book is cheap.

As I said, the book was supposed to tell me what and how. It didn't. Why buy the book in the first place, which I bought at the recommendation of people on this site.

If you still have to google everything after reading the book, there's no point in buying the book ...
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The elliptical for many hours helped me lose a lot of weight, but doing Stronglifts with a little bit of cardio thrown in helped me decrease my body fat % and made me look better than just doing the elliptical.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this guy figured it out

As I said, the book was supposed to tell me what and how. It didn't. Why buy the book in the first place, which I bought at the recommendation of people on this site.

If you still have to google everything after reading the book, there's no point in buying the book ...
    Ugh- You're completely missing the point.
    I'm in a training class for work. The open book/take home quiz is given at the end of every day.....

guess what I'm googling that stuff because IT"S NOT IN MY HANDBOOK.

it's a program. You don't have to come up with a program. That's what you bought. A program. That being said- you could have googled that up to. But the thing is there is so much stuff there you have no idea to start. Having a manual and a program gives you a jumping off point- a reference- something for which to google with out getting lost in the sauce.

Just because you buy a program doesn't mean the information will be spoon fed to you- sometimes you have to get off your duff and do more work on your own.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    technically all the equipment will help you lose weight.

Get a Personal trainer or get NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting) to get a routine going :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Fork put downs and table push aways. Srsly...your weight loss is 99.9% about what you are putting into your mouth. Exercise simply increases your body's calorie requirements which in turn allows you to eat more and still lose weight...plus you look more fit in the end. Example...

Lets say without much of any exercise whatsoever that you maintain on 2000 calories per day (average female). Theoretically you would lose about 1 lb per week eating 1500 calories per day...as you would have a 500 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance = 3,500 calorie deficit for the week.

Now let's say you exercise and on average burn around 300 calories per workout. Your new maintenance would now be 2300 calories (2000 + 300 = 2300)...so to achieve the same 500 calorie deficit you could now eat 1,800 calories per day (2300 - 500 = 1,800)

Any exercise you do is going to increase your activity and thus increase your calorie requirements. This is why I always tell everybody and anybody to sit down and think of some actual fitness goals that go beyond burning calories...it's all going to burn extra calories...so set some goals that go beyond that and prosper.

Any good fitness regimen is going to have components of both cardiovascular fitness and strength/resistance work. Your priorities for either one will be determined by your fitness goals.

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this guy figured it out

the point is that it gives you a program complete with exercises and progression so that a complete noob has a place to start. sorry, but the $14 you pay for the book doesn't cover having someone come to the gym with you and hold your hand while guiding you to the various pieces of equipment and showing you each move in person. The gym has someone that will do that.....for $75 an hour.

Either your expectations are too high for $14 or you're waiting to play the victim card, not sure which.
  • rochey170
    Options
    I burn more calories per hour on the treadmill than anything else if that's what you're asking
  • rml_16
    Options

this guy figured it out

Ugh- You're completely missing the point.
    I'm in a training class for work. The open book/take home quiz is given at the end of every day.....

guess what I'm googling that stuff because IT"S NOT IN MY HANDBOOK.

it's a program. You don't have to come up with a program. That's what you bought. A program. That being said- you could have googled that up to. But the thing is there is so much stuff there you have no idea to start. Having a manual and a program gives you a jumping off point- a reference- something for which to google with out getting lost in the sauce.

Just because you buy a program doesn't mean the information will be spoon fed to you- sometimes you have to get off your duff and do more work on your own.
    Pretty sure the book is marketed as a how-to guide. If I'm paying for a how-to guide, it better tell me HOW TO. It was confusing as hell for a beginner and more than one person recently has told me it is NOT the best book to start with. Heck, you even just said so in this thread.

So my point stands that it is probably not a good recommendation for the OP.
  • rml_16
    Options

this guy figured it out

the point is that it gives you a program complete with exercises and progression so that a complete noob has a place to start. sorry, but the $14 you pay for the book doesn't cover having someone come to the gym with you and hold your hand while guiding you to the various pieces of equipment and showing you each move in person. The gym has someone that will do that.....for $75 an hour.

Either your expectations are too high for $14 or you're waiting to play the victim card, not sure which.
    "Victim card"? Seriously?

I expected the book to be at least somewhat helpful. It was not even slightly helpful. I read it, thought I had a good idea of what I was doing, walked into the gym and found that it was a waste of money and time. And as I said, others have since backed me up on that -- people who actually lift regularly and know their stuff.

I'm not asking for my money back. I'm not going to sue the writer or publisher. I'm simply stating it isn't what it's touted to be and trying to save someone else the trouble.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and look for this machine in your gym.

squat_rack.jpg

And do StrongLifts of NROL in it

QFT. I'm kinda sad we don't have this machine, but I'm making do for now.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Buy the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and follow the plan. :-)

Yep. I do NROLFW from home. I have an all-in-one rack with the pulley system, knee lift chair, pull up bar, bench etc and what do I use most? My trusty dumbbells. Just about to a weight where the dumbbells won't do the job so I'm hoping to add a barbell when I get my next check :)
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Please check and see if you can get a free session with a trainer to get you started, so you don't feel overwhelmed!!:smile:

I would also suggest if you are interested in any of the classes at your gym to not be shy, and just get there a few minutes before the class to touch base with the instructor, letting them know you are new! That way they can give extra instruction to you if you get "lost" during class.

Cardio machines (elliptical, treadmill, bikes, rowing) are good for beginners, in my opinion, but if you want to do strong lifts, anything with weights you NEED to seek out assistance. (I don't think it's wise to tell a newbie to just go do this!)

And you may want tot invest in a heart rate monitor if you don't already have one (that has a strap around your chest; Polar is what I use, for example)- I find it adds motivation to see and be able to log your burns more accurately.

Have FUN!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cardio! I love the eliptical.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mix of cardio and weights. Find which ever cardio equipment you enjoy and go for it :)

Pretty much this!