Question about TDEE

Options
According to the online calculators my TDEE is in the range of 2000-2200 calories per day. I'm kind of happy with my size (are we ever totally happy?!) so, mainly, eating at a slight deficit keeps me comfortable and not stressing about weight gain. Today I've eaten 2000 calories but have burnt 1400+...45 mins turbo spin, 18 holes of golf (carrying), 60 minutes Insanity (max cardio and cardio abs).

Soooo - do I need to worry about that and eat more OR am I best just to eat there or thereabouts my TDEE every day, and things will balance out on less intensive exercse days? I like the simplicity of that and less stressing about the numbers...

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is the concept, assuming that you calculated your TDEE based on the correct activity level for yourself (sounds like you are very active). I would just monitor it at that calorie level for a while, say 3-4 weeks, and adjust if necessary based on if you gained or lost weight.

Keep in mind that TDEE calculators are just estimates. It often takes a little bit of time to hone in on your actual TDEE range.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    TDEE takes your weekly caloric burn and averages it out over 7 days. In the TDEE format you ignore exercise calories and just eat the goal number. Eating back exercise calories only applies to the MFP format that vastly underestimates your required calories for the day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Think of it more as a weekly average than a daily gotta hit it target. You're in a deep home today but will most likely level out after a few normal days
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE includes that kind of exercise, then you can eat 2000-2500 cals every day and it should average out over the week.

I do it a bit differently. I calculate my TDEE at a lightly active level (work / daily life = 1700cals) and then eat back about 2/3 of my exercise cals. Depending on the day that can be 0-600 cals more. That way of calculating motivates me to do more exercise, especially on weekends, when I could use some extra cals ;-) .

If you don't need the extra incentive, you can use the 'real' TDEE method.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Makes sense and I enjoy exercise so don't need the extra calories back to motivate - although they are nice to see :-)

I don't currently weigh myself and haven't done for a few years. Mainly as I never liked the number or at least found it an unhealthy morivation/obsession. Perhaps it's time to consider a weekly weigh in just to keep a check on things whilst I work out what works for me.