Thoughts on Ankle Weights?

Options
Would it be a good idea to wear them during simple workouts like yoga, Pilates, walking, jumping jacks even? I have 1 lb ankle weights and I'm wondering how I might best utilize them. Would they help me tone my legs more?

Replies

• doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not PT or expert nut I will say I am planning to get some. I can't so a lot of moves sue to a hip issue but I hope adding ankle weights to what I can do will help to build up leg muscles and tone. I'm getting five pounds doe exercise but would love to find some one pounds to wear all day just for walking around.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ankle weights aren't widely recommended because they can throw off your form and cause injury. If you want to tone your legs more, do squats and lunges and the like - first just using body weight then if you want to increase weight, hold free weights or a weighted bar in your hands.

Article:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ankle-wrist-weights-pump-pain/story?id=16824588
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They're great for destroying your ankles.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Three words: squats and lunges.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Feel like strapped on weights put more stress on joints than on muscles.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Knees too.

And let's not leave out hips
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ankle weights aren't widely recommended because they can throw off your form and cause injury. If you want to tone your legs more, do squats and lunges and the like - first just using body weight then if you want to increase weight, hold free weights or a weighted bar in your hands.

This is what I've been reading lately too. I have enough trouble with my knees, ankles and back!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Would it be a good idea to wear them during simple workouts like yoga, Pilates, walking, jumping jacks even? I have 1 lb ankle weights and I'm wondering how I might best utilize them. Would they help me tone my legs more?
    Wear them for those things if you want to mess up your knees and hips.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There probably are some good sport-specific uses for them.

However, as above - if you're looking to work your legs more, ideally get some proper weight on your back and do some squats - 3 sets of 5 will take a total of 7 minutes or so (10 with a warm up if your legs aren't already warmed up). Ok, you need access to weights and a rack, but both can be got pretty cheaply if you don't go to a gym already.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Knees too.

And let's not leave out hips

^All the above.

The only thing they are good for is weighing down my dog's backpack when we go out for walks.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to become a super Saiyen by training in gravity x 100... a weighted vest is about the only thing I can recommend.