Skinny Fat/ Losing Weight

Hi,

I lost 40lbs three years ago, taking me from borderline obese to a normal BMI (21.8) and now I'd like to lose a little more to get into better shape. Currently I am 5 ft 5 and 131 lb (c.59-60 kg) but my body fat percentage is 30%, and my doctor agrees it should be lower.

I'm not sure if I should lose a little more weight, perhaps 5-10 lbs, by eating at a deficit to give a 0.5 lb a week weight loss, and do more cardio than strength training to get my BF down a little; then eat at maintenance whilst focusing more upon strength training (high weight low reps). Or should I eat at maintenance and try to change my body composition? I know my weight is ok for my height but my BF isn't, so I want to change. Not sure if it's relevant but I lost the 40 lbs on WeightWatchers and did no exercise.

Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    Definately weight training is going to give you the body you want. Like you said, you're at a good weight... you just want to get rid of the extra fat. Eat at maintenance, get a good lifting program in.... make sure you're getting enough protein.... and you'll be good to go.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    In for the advice :)
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I'm 5'4, also 130 pounds, and 21% body fat. You need to do some kind of strength training whether that is lifting weights at the gym, yoga, plyometrics, or pilates. Building lean muscle is the key!
  • By far the best way to lose fat for me is strength training (weights mainly), some cardio for fun and a slight caloric deficit. Eat your protein. I used to have the same problem. You need to build muscle. With just cardio, you may lose weight, but it will likely be muscle instead of fat.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    bump
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Eat loads of protein (no deficit needed), lift heavy things.

Check out beginner programs like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    From my own experience, I had to lose almost 20lbs more than my original goal weight, to get where I wanted to be.
    I'm 5ft, 6in, had a SW of 175lbs, GW of 135lbs and I'm now maintaining 117.5-120lbs. Sidesteel and sarauk did a bf% estimate for me of around 17% (which matched a bf% I had done with a machine), and that was done BEFORE I started strength training. The lower bf% came with the lower weight (and I was doing regular walking with a bit of slow jogging too, at the time). Just a different perspective :)
  • JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    From my own experience, I had to lose almost 20lbs more than my original goal weight, to get where I wanted to be.
    I'm 5ft, 6in, had a SW of 175lbs, GW of 135lbs and I'm now maintaining 117.5-120lbs. Sidesteel and sarauk did a bf% estimate for me of around 17% (which matched a bf% I had done with a machine), and that was done BEFORE I started strength training. The lower bf% came with the lower weight (and I was doing regular walking with a bit of slow jogging too, at the time). Just a different perspective :)

So did you go below your long term goal weight to lose the fat and now gain the muscle?

Thanks for the replies, I think my BF% could be closer to 35% and I have a small build so I do think I need to lose a little weight (fat)- or surely the muscle definition won't show??? Or have I got it wrong?
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    I would say a slight caloric deficit (TDEE-10% perhaps), 1g protein/lb of BW (muscles need it to grow!!), a heavy lifting routine (New Rules, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts), and a lot of patience/persistence. You can definitely do it!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member

So did you go below your long term goal weight to lose the fat and now gain the muscle?

Thanks for the replies, I think my BF% could be closer to 35% and I have a small build so I do think I need to lose a little weight (fat)- or surely the muscle definition won't show??? Or have I got it wrong?

No, I adjusted my goal weight because 135lbs when you're in your 20s (what I was on my wedding day, 11 years ago), looks a lot different than when you're in your 30s and have had 3 kids :grumble: :tongue: I think if I had started maintaining at my original GW and started doing strength training, I would not have been happy with the results. There was still too much 'oomph' in the way.
  • JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still a bit confused behind the science of how lifting will help lose the excess bodyfat, is anyone able to explain to me please?
  • http://simplesciencefitness.com/ will explain it all.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    is weight training + cardio 3-4 times a week going to be enough to whip me in to shape by june? I weigh 124 now after my weight loss but want to have definition and tone as quickly as possible. I also eat a caloric deficit