Poor Immune System - Related to Caloric Deficit?

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this, but since my new goal is maintenance, I guess this is the right place. :)

I've lost 16 pounds in the past 2 years, although I lost 11 of those pounds before I started counting calories. Although this hasn't been an extreme and quick weight loss, I've found that I'm getting sick (viral and bacterial infections, nothing serious) much more than I used to. I eat more nutritious foods, I'm more physically active, and I've had tests done for autoimmune issues - although I plan to get more blood work done soon.

The only issue I can think of is my long-term calorie deficit. I've been eating at a 250-500 calorie deficit, not a large one, at least since I've been tracking on here for the past 6 months or so. Since I'm in a healthy weight range now, even though I haven't gotten to my goal, I've decided to take a break from weight loss and eat at maintenance. I'll focus on healthy eating and exercise, but without the deficit.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Does anyone have any other ideas? My doctor wants to test for vitamin D deficiency and thyroid issues as well.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have been healthier - no doubt about it - and on a longer and deeper calorie deficit than that.

Other likely contributors:

stress - does an amazing job of suppressing your immune system
    lack of sleep - same
    contact with children or college students - they are in big groups of people who bring diseases from home and spread them in an unprotected population. Then they come home to you. With dirty hands and runny noses.
    spending time indoors - closed air circulation makes it easier to get airborn diseases
    riding public transportation - same
    working in hospitals or doctors offices
    working in stores where you handle money all the time. If you do that, you should use hand sanitizer all the time.

I hope you feel better. It's no fun being sick.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I was vitamin D deficient for years. Once, I was able to keep my level in an acceptable range (through supplements), I finally realized how crappy I had felt before. I wasn't necessarily sick often, BUT I used to get sore throats ALL of the time. In the last year, I've had one instance of a sore throat.

So yeah, being vit D deficient can effect your immunity.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Do you take vitamins? I'm probably going to sound crazy here, but I can't take vitamins or any supplements especially when I'm on a plan to lose weight because I will catch every cold that passes by. I spoke to my doctor about this and she told me I don't need to be taking vitamins and that she has heard of other people having a lowered immune system because of vitamins.

But - if you do end up having vitamin D deficiency, obviously take the vitamin D and don't listen to anything I say ;)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    nxd10's list of other contributors is right on. Keep those things in mind. Washing hands and trying not to touch door handles (as much as possible; pull your sleeve over your hand if you can) is the best way to fight off viruses.

As for vitamins, A, C and D are important for the immune system (others as well but these are key). Check your nutrition chart to see if you're hitting your daily limits on these three. It doesn't take much to reach the levels by eating something that's high in these vitamins: a red pepper (A), citrus fruit (C), milk (D).
    Vitamin D is a bit harder at times. 20 minutes outdoors in the sun will give you your daily requirement. Any daylight will have some vitamin D in it.

Also, if you are underweight, you will catch colds easier. Maybe an extra couple of pounds will help. I'm assuming you aren't since you've seen your doctor but thought I'd mention it in case you're closer to the lower end of a "normal" weight range for your height. Sometimes the charts are just a guideline.
  • Aviajean
    Options
    Antacids, exp prescription will deplete the body of Vitamin D3, Almost everyone I know runs a deficient, it can easily be checked by a physician. Tired and poor concentration come from this, it is a serious problem. The B vitamins are not as hard to get from food, they are also for the central nervous system and contribute to feeling well. The stress a pregnancy puts on the body is equivalent to the stress you have your body under, Perhaps checking the blood work and , a more potent vitamin supplement from your physician of exactly what you need.
  • evilangelwings
    evilangelwings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is a bit harder at times. 20 minutes outdoors in the sun will give you your daily requirement. Any daylight will have some vitamin D in it.

Not necessarily, especially at northern latitudes. I currently live at the extreme (near the Arctic circle!) and take a vitamin D supplement, but even in my "motherland" a little further south (UK), the sunlight isn't powerful enough in Autumn/Winter. Here's a link with some more info, OP- http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/vitamin-D-sunlight.aspx but of course it depends on where you live.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice. By the way, your nutrition looks very good. I used to get sick more than I do. I have been teaching for 10 years. Guess I have finally caught it all. I also use a CPAP, I wonder if it helps.

I have been making smoothies which are supposed to make your nutrients more bioavaible. They are fun and delicious!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Adding to the great list above - if you use a public gym, that could be part of it! Wipe down equipment before and after using.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Get the tests your Dr. recommends. A daily probiotic can also be very beneficial for immunity.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Get the tests your Dr. recommends. A daily probiotic can also be very beneficial for immunity.

THIS!

On my first trip to India I got "welcome to India" sick and wiped out my good bacteria in my digestive system. I stayed sick after that, for weeks. When I got home I did the whole probiotic thing and took some with my on my next trip, I did not get sick once.

I am also a big believer in antibacterial wipes and gel along with getting as many antioxidants a day as I can.

Glad your ANA test came back negative, I was not so lucky.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Very good point there.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The problem with vitamin D testing is that many people are either deficient or at the low end of the range when their doctor orders the test. I know this because I have run thousands upon thousands of samples. Many doctors don't even know what the range really means or what to do with this information. Aside from severe deficiencies, I'm not sure that this testing means anything right now. (Research, as always, is back and forth.) Skin color and regional differences can also be seen.

ANA is another test that often means nothing---though it absolutely could mean something. Many people, especially women and people as they age, will test positive. It often leads to further testing, which may or may not lead to some type of conclusive evidence of autoimmunity. There are a number of laboratory tests that are iffy, IMO. (ESR, RF, etc.)

I find getting sick ebbs and flows for me.
  • sarahperez82
    Options
    I actually suffer from two autoimmune disorders; Psoriatic arthritis and lupus…so my immune system is ALWAYS down. For the past few months I've been making green smoothies (which are all over the internet) and adding certain things like blueberries for taste, ginger root for anti-inflammatory properties, and a packet of Immergen-C, which is a small packet easily found as Walgreens, walmart, etc. It basically has a mega dose of Vitamin C. Since I have started doing this I have had more energy, the swelling in my joints has gone down, and I haven't gotten sick sick…meaning I haven't had to miss work. That for me, is a huge success! Every body is different, so my suggestion is to speak with your doctor and see what natural healthy food you may incorporate into your diet to help with your own immune system.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Very good point there.

Very true. And tasty. Not for health reasons but just because I like it, I usually have yogurt, kefir, and kombucha almost daily. All homemade.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :)

I definitely think vitamin D deficiency might play a role, but my diet seems to be high in other vitamins. Even though I've been trying to get as much vitamin D as possible through my diet (egg yolks, fish, and fortified almond milk), I'm sure the lack of sunshine here in New York is the major issue.

I take probiotics when I think I'm about to get sick or when I'm on antibiotics, but I'll make an effort to eat more yogurt and I'll give kombucha another try.

I'm going to see an immunologist because it became clear to me today that my doctor is focused on curing the ailment of the moment, not the ongoing problem. I definitely want to get tested for a thyroid issue because it runs in my family and it seems like many of my issues could be linked to this.
  • allysteven880
    Options
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but since my new goal is maintenance, I guess this is the right place. :)

I've lost 16 pounds in the past 2 years, although I lost 11 of those pounds before I started counting calories. Although this hasn't been an extreme and quick weight loss, I've found that I'm getting sick (viral and bacterial infections, nothing serious) much more than I used to. I eat more nutritious foods, I'm more physically active, and I've had tests done for autoimmune issues - although I plan to get more blood work done soon.

The only issue I can think of is my long-term calorie deficit. I've been eating at a 250-500 calorie deficit, not a large one, at least since I've been tracking on here for the past 6 months or so. Since I'm in a healthy weight range now, even though I haven't gotten to my goal, I've decided to take a break from weight loss and eat at maintenance. I'll focus on healthy eating and exercise, but without the deficit.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Does anyone have any other ideas? My doctor wants to test for vitamin D deficiency and thyroid issues as well.

Your perception may be right for a long-term calorie deficit. If you think so, you must have to loss your weight. The vitamin D deficiency is also responsible for dull immune system. So, you have to take proper nutritious diet and calorie burn exercise.