How to put the 80/20 rule into practice (examples?)

Options
I've heard a lot about the 80% healthy food 20% bad food rule. This may sound stupid but I'm finding it hard to actually put this in to practice because I feel like if I have 3 healthy meals and then have a small portion of something bad like chocolate or cookies (can you tell I have a sweet tooth?!) then I end up feeling like that's just ruined my healthy eating for the day.

Also does it work in the same way that I could have a couple of days (probably the weekend) of not eating great and then the rest of the week healthy?

If you tend to follow the 80/20 rule then any examples of how you do this would be much appreciated just so I can get m head around it a bit more :)

Replies

• Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to answer your question directly, but would like to make a point. The most important thing to learn is there are no "bad" foods. As long as you're under your calories and hit your protein and fat targets, whatever else you eat is up to you. You may have other macros you track. If you like chocolate (I do!) and cookies, plan them into your day.

That said, I'm more satisfied and unlikely to get hungry if I eat primarily lean meats with veggies, fruits and complex starches (roasted sweet potato is a favorite). Oh, and a glass of wine :drinker:
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You have actually answered your own question basically op.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to look at your mindset, not examples of other people eating cake!

Eating a cookie is just eating a cookie... A cookie doesn't negate all of the nutritious food you have previously eaten....

Also, look up IIFYM
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Eating a cookie is just eating a cookie... A cookie doesn't negate all of the nutritious food you have previously eaten....

Also, look up IIFYM

Definitely IIFYM. I pre-log most days, so I know what extra I can and can't have. Most days I can have a bag of M&M's or Gummy bears or something sweet, because it fits and that makes me happy.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Also, look up IIFYM

Definitely IIFYM. I pre-log most days, so I know what extra I can and can't have. Most days I can have a bag of M&M's or Gummy bears or something sweet, because it fits and that makes me happy.

Can you please elaborate on which Gummi Bears you eat and the after-effects please?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Also, look up IIFYM

Can you please elaborate on which Gummi Bears you eat and the after-effects please?
    These: http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Candy-Sugarless-5-Pound/dp/B000EVQWKC
  • FaithsFood
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone. I see what you mean, I think I just need to change my mindset a bit :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Also, look up IIFYM

Haribo. Is there any other kind?? Before? I'm hangry for something sweet and after I feel satisfied. :happy:
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You people with all your fancy diet math and percentages...
    help-with-algebra-equations.gif
    monkey_banana.jpg
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Most, or pretty much all of my breakfasts are about 300-400 calories and include produce and protein, but 1 in 7 or so are pancakes.
    Most, or pretty much all of my lunches include massive vegetables, but maybe 1 in 5 (or 1 in 10) include extra cheese.
    Most of my dinners are 600-ish calories and include lots of veggies and protein and a little fat and carbs, but once in a while it's pizza.
    There is always a glass of wine.
  • Cyanide6
    Cyanide6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Allowing a little treat prevents the epic fail that comes with deprivation. Stop seeing it as a fail and more like a reward.
    Example, I ate a lot of fresh veg and fruit today, had my protein fill and kept carbs low but reasonable. I did 45 mins of cardio at the gym so I'm going to TREAT myself to a couple of chocolate chip cookies since I'm still within my calories for today.
    If you eat salad day in and day out for weeks, you know you're going to come across that one temptation and then binge your *kitten* off, you'll regret it and hate yourself and beat yourself up for it.