Questions for Seasoned Lifters

Options
Stats-

Female
5'4
162 lbs
34% bf

Since it is difficult to determine caloric burns from strength training, do you find that the site's auto settings for calories consumed too high?

It gives me 1510 plus burns, so on lifting days that can be 1700-1800 calories. My plan is to try it until I see results (or not) but I am just asking for personal experiences until then.

Does anyone have problem with bacne/acne since starting lifting? Any preventative tips?

Does anyone not do cardio with lifting? Am I setting myself up for failure by not incorporating any cardio?

Lifting during menstruation: deload? skip? Go on as normal?

Creatine and BCAA: Worth it for beginners? Worth it when training on a deficit? or should I just keep it simple for now and focus on hitting my calorie goal?

Replies

• LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Stats-

Female
    5'4
    162 lbs
    34% bf

Since it is difficult to determine caloric burns from strength training, do you find that the site's auto settings for calories consumed too high?

It gives me 1510 plus burns, so on lifting days that can be 1700-1800 calories. My plan is to try it until I see results (or not) but I am just asking for personal experiences until then.

Does anyone have problem with bacne/acne since starting lifting? Any preventative tips?

Does anyone not do cardio with lifting? Am I setting myself up for failure by not incorporating any cardio?

Creatine and BCAA: Worth it for beginners? Worth it when training on a deficit? or should I just keep it simple for now and focus on hitting my calorie goal?

I dont know about calories burned but for your other questions:

I've never had acne and don't have any issues with lifting, beefcake dudes get it from steroids, so don't use steroids.

lifting without cardio, you will put on weight (muscle) but you wont see it cause the fat you have will cover it. You need cardio to lose fat and lifting to build muscles

I find that keeping on with my usual exercises (lifts included) while on my period makes me have less period "side effects" but sometimes I do just get straight up weak and then I do what I can. Just listen to your body.

Also, if you're eating enough protein, your body will make enough creatine. If you are a body builder or vegetarian, then maybe you'd want to supplement, but otherwise eat lean meats and you should be good

Hope that helps :)
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't use any auto settings in mfp. I just use it to count my macros.

I've never had any acne problems even in my teens.

Menstruation...i don't know.

I'm on a cut right now and I'm using creatine and bcaa. To be honest, I don't think I need them, I just keep my protein intake pretty high 1.25-1.5 grams per # especially during a cut. You probably don't need them, like you said, keep it simple. I'd focus on just hitting my macros.

I don't do cardio, I'm on a caloric deficit anyways and I keep my workouts intense. Unless, I pigged out one day, then I'll throw in maybe 2 days of cardio to make up for it, but other than that I don't do cardio.

What are you're goals right now? To lose weight? Either way, keep lifting heavy.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What are you're goals right now? To lose weight? Either way, keep lifting heavy.

Lose weight, improve posture, increase strength, lower body fat.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Just focus on your calories making sure you're eating at a deficit and keeping your intensity high at the gym. 1g of protein per body weight. If you just started lifting focus on compound exercises. I hear starting strength is great program for starters, I've never used it.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Just focus on your calories making sure you're eating at a deficit and keeping your intensity high at the gym. 1g of protein per body weight. If you just started lifting focus on compound exercises. I hear starting strength is great program for starters, I've never used it.

I'm 3 weeks into strong lifts 5x5 which is a 12 week program, I think.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    1) Since it is difficult to determine caloric burns from strength training, do you find that the site's auto settings for calories consumed too high?

I don't log my exercise.

2) It gives me 1510 plus burns, so on lifting days that can be 1700-1800 calories. My plan is to try it until I see results (or not) but I am just asking for personal experiences until then.

I eat 1800 every day. Whether I lift or not.

3) Does anyone have problem with bacne/acne since starting lifting? Any preventative tips?

Never, not sure why you would get that. But I did do a round of Accutane a couple years ago, so I don't get acne anywhere.

4) Does anyone not do cardio with lifting? Am I setting myself up for failure by not incorporating any cardio?

I do HIIT 2-3 days a week. I also do endurance training because I am an endurance mtb racer.

5) Lifting during menstruation: deload? skip? Go on as normal?

I go as normal, but I also rarely have my periods because I use an implant for birth control.

6) Creatine and BCAA: Worth it for beginners? Worth it when training on a deficit? or should I just keep it simple for now and focus on hitting my calorie goal?

I take creatine and use protein powder. I've read that beginners see better results when using these than more seasoned lifters.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm set at maintenance right now. I eat from 1800 to over 2000 calories per day and I am still losing inches.

No acne...my skin has never been better actually.

I do a bit of running beforehand for a warm-up and also because of my family history (keep the ol' ticker healthy).

I lift during my time of the month as per usual, I just pop some Tylenol beforehand if required.

Don't take any of that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Since it is difficult to determine caloric burns from strength training, do you find that the site's auto settings for calories consumed too high? i do use an HRM which gives an elevated burn. I dont really eat my exercise calories back anyway because I'm doing a bit difft method than MFP (I'm doing TDEE method) so it doesnt really matter.

Does anyone have problem with bacne/acne since starting lifting? Any preventative tips? Change out of your workout clothes ASAP. i find i get this more when I marinate in my wet gear :laugh:

Does anyone not do cardio with lifting? Am I setting myself up for failure by not incorporating any cardio? i dont do it on the same day unless i'm working on sprints and even then i will do the sprints several hours before i lift. but on my non lifting days i do cardio, primarily running because i have some 10 and 20k races i'd like to run this year. but you dont HAVE to incorporate cardio

Lifting during menstruation: deload? skip? Go on as normal? dafuqq kinda question is this? no seriously. :huh: why would you skip it or need to deload? is there like some hormonal reason for this question?

Creatine and BCAA: Worth it for beginners? Worth it when training on a deficit? or should I just keep it simple for now and focus on hitting my calorie goal? i personally would only use these if i were actively trying to build muscle. at the moment i'm concentrating on losing fat so i'm eating at a deficit. i think attempting to do the two at the same - especially since i'm not a newb and therefore wont get any bums from newb gains anyway - is sort of like trying to pain the outside of your house during a rainstorm
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Stats-

Female
    5'4
    162 lbs
    34% bf

I use a HRM to see what my calorie burn is during lifting and strength training. I check in on it after every rep/set.

No, no problems with acne since I've been lifting. However, when I take a break from taking Creatine, I have noticed I tend to break out a bit, nothing major though.

Since I'm currently in my cutting time, I have added a bit of cardio, 25 min run/treadmill, 3 days a week after a lifting sesh.

I'm day 2 on my cycle and lifted today. I find that when I stick to my schedule, period or not, my flow is lighter and I suffer from less cramps. (I just make sure I have extra 'protection' on to avoid leakage. ;) )

I personally haven't tried BCAA, but I do take Creatine 30 days on, 30 days off, as well as a Multi-Vitimin and GNC's CLA, and Fish Oil.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Since it is difficult to determine caloric burns from strength training, do you find that the site's auto settings for calories consumed too high? I never really used MFP settings. Look into the TDEE method.

Does anyone have problem with bacne/acne since starting lifting? Not really, but there are acne focused body washes out there.

Does anyone not do cardio with lifting? Cardio isn't my favorite thing. I do a lot of walking, and hiking and the occasional stationary bike.

Lifting during menstruation: deload? skip? Go on as normal? I go as normal. It makes me feel a lot better.

Creatine and BCAA: Worth it for beginners? Worth it when training on a deficit? or should I just keep it simple for now and focus on hitting my calorie goal? I never tried it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

eat in a calorie deficit of about 500 per day.
    Since you want to lose body fat it would not hurt to do two cardio sessions a week on off days - just my opinion. Once you get your body fat percent lower, you can cut out the cardio.
    make sure you hit your macros...40p/30f/30c is a standard setting..
    you said you are already doing starting strength so that is good ..just focus on increasing weight and/or reps.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    You would probably be better off figuring out your TDEE and your deficit from that, rather than eating back your calories. But if you prefer to do it the MFP way, I wouldn't eat it back at all, the burn is pretty negligible.
    I have no problems with acne as long as I wash straight away. Maybe try a better soap, or get a scrubby brush or something to help wash you back easier?
    I occasionally do cardio, but usually I won't. I never do when i'm bulking. As long as you are eating to suit your goals you will be fine. Although obviously you won't have the cardiac fitness of a runner or anything.
    Lift as normal when you have your period.
    The last question i'm not sure on, I don't usually take either. If I was going to pick one it would be BCAAs though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it is pretty tough to calculate burns from lifting ..so I would say you are better figuring out your maintenance level TDEE and then cutting 500 cals per day from that.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Stats-

Female
    5'4
    162 lbs
    34% bf

1. I don't bother logging in how much calories I burn, I know I put in work so I don't worry about that, I just make sure I hit my macros

2. I would get some on my back, so I started taking wipes to the gym to wipe down before I use and I carry a small towel and always wipe my back when I feel it's sweaty, I hit the shower when I get home and I use clear and clear for my body and it went away.

3. It depends on your workout, I don't ever ever do cardio because I hate it. So I will do some intense training circuit, depending how I'm feeling that day. But that's like my cardio :)

4. I'm weak as heck when it's that time of the month so I just focus on volume the first 2 days and by the 3rd day I'm good to go.

5. Bcca's are great!!!! Since my dermo took me off protein supplemends I take bcca's alllll day :) But I started up with my protein supps again. :) Creatine is great too, I see changes quick, and thank god I don't get bloated or retain any water .