If you workout at 5am.....

2»

Replies

• BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 472 Member
    I do all my workouts fasted in the morning, just a little water during the workout.

Plenty of people that work out at the same time as me certainly drink coffee before hand, but I gave up coffee 5+ years ago. Also, I try not to eat for at least 2 hours before a gym workout, which I can't do getting to the gym by 6:00am. A cold green tea before/during the workout might be a good compromise.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Do you eat or drink coffee before your workouts? Right now I just chug a bottle of water on the way to the gym but I've been getting really tired and slow to "warm up". I really don't think I could eat that early...but coffee?

How does one eat coffee? :huh:

I guess if it's really really strong to the point it has the consistency of pudding?

Or frozen?

Frozen, powdered, in a gelatinous matrix that allows for chewing, beans. Etc.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Do you eat or drink coffee before your workouts? Right now I just chug a bottle of water on the way to the gym but I've been getting really tired and slow to "warm up". I really don't think I could eat that early...but coffee?

Eating and drinking coffee are two separate ideas. "Do you [eat] or [drink coffee]..."
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,285 Member
    I eat nothing before... drink water during my workout and eat ~8am :)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    I would have a cup of plain black coffee and a banana first thing when I woke up, then jump in the car for a 20-ish min drive to the gym then workout (while drinking some water on the way to the gym). I always have to eat something before I workout or I get light headed and feel sick, but it has to be something small and it can't be RIGHT before I workout. I say give coffee a shot and see what works for you. Everyone's different so you'll just have to try different things to see what works for you.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    I workout fasted and I love it. I am up at 4:15am and hitting my first working set by 5:15am usually. I do heavy lifting four days a week and cardio one or two days a week. I also don't eat my first meal till noon since I am an intermittent faster. It works for me. You have to try and figure out which way works for you. It may work for some people on here and not for others. Find what works for you and stick to it.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member

Smart a*s! LOL
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    On my "early days" I wake at 4:45, have coffee while doing my daily Bible reading, log into MFP, record the coffee and the creamer, reply to a thread or two, then start my workout no later 5:30, after my strength training and 30 minutes of vigorous cardio, I eat breakfast and shower, have another cup of coffee sometimes... then I do my hour (or more) of moderate cardio (walking or equivalent) sometime later in the day. I find that coffee doesn't upset my stomach during the morning workout but food does. The more moderate activity later is not really influenced much by food in my stomach, so after my strenght and vigorous cardio I just eat normally.
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    If I leave from my own home I will always have a coffee black before training. But Im not so lucky that my gym is open at 5 am in the morning :(
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I don't if its an hour of cardio or strength training and I need to do it immediately after I get up. This is the case if I exercise before work.

If I'm going to do a long run(8+ miles) or a half marathon race, I do tend to get up with plenty of time to drink coffee, eat something, and use the restroom. I'm not saying you have to eat before running this distance, I just like to.