Worst Fruits in Calories to avoid

Options
1235»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Saying fructose is levulose is like saying that margarine is the same as butter. Refined fructose lacks amino acids, vitamins, minerals, pectin, and fiber. As a result, the body doesn’t recognize refined fructose. Levulose, on the other hand, is [fructose] naturally occurring in fruits, and is not isolated but bound to other naturally occurring sugars. Unlike man-made fructose, levulose contains enzymes, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and fruit pectin. Refined fructose is processed in the body through the liver, rather than digested in the intestine. Levulose is digested in the intestine."

-- source: http://www.naturalnews.com/024892_fructose_food_health.html

Levulose IS fructose. It's literally another name for the exact same molecule.

There's no such thing as "man-made fructose." It's all from plants. We don't manufacture fructose.

Using the term "levulose" and "fructose" to mean two different things is like saying "water" and "dihydrogen monoxide" are two different things.

On the basis of this single blurb, the entire site should be ignored. As proved by the above link. Total bunk.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    "Saying fructose is levulose is like saying that margarine is the same as butter. Refined fructose lacks amino acids, vitamins, minerals, pectin, and fiber. As a result, the body doesn’t recognize refined fructose. Levulose, on the other hand, is [fructose] naturally occurring in fruits, and is not isolated but bound to other naturally occurring sugars. Unlike man-made fructose, levulose contains enzymes, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and fruit pectin. Refined fructose is processed in the body through the liver, rather than digested in the intestine. Levulose is digested in the intestine."

There's no such thing as "man-made fructose." It's all from plants. We don't manufacture fructose.

Using the term "levulose" and "fructose" to mean two different things is like saying "water" and "dihydrogen monoxide" are two different things.

On the basis of this single blurb, the entire site should be ignored. As proved by the above link. Total bunk.

Yea man, but it's on a website that looks all sciency and stuff. It must be legit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

It doesn't f'ing matter, anyway. Even if I went into a chem lab and made up some C6H12O6 (levulose/fructose), it's still C6H12O6 (levulose/fructose).

It's like saying you can drink water (H2O), but can't drink the chemical I made in the lab by combining hydrogen and oxygen, then testing it to verify that it's H2O.
  • thoughtspresso
    Options
    Heyyyy don't be haters. The reason why we share and discuss here in the first place is because reading up alone can lead us to unreliable sources. So it's good that you guys pointed that out, thanks.
  • salendire
    Options
    Bananas and potatoes are very good for you. I eat a banana every day. I would eat a potato every day, but baking them is a PITA.

check out the produce section of your store. there is a new item called 'steamables' I believe they are different types of potatoes wrapped and ready to go in the microwave. takes about 8 minutes
    There is not much worse than a baked potato from the microwave. Gotta be baked in the oven! It just takes so long and I'm usually REALLY hungry. lol

And now I want a freaking potato.

I microwave my pots to cook them through and then just throw them in to a very hot oven, straight on the rack, for 10-15 minutes to make the skin crispy. The end result is what you would expect from a potato that was cooked all the way through in the oven.

And yes, for the love of god, don't avoid fruits and vegetables. The more fresh, raw food in your diet, the better.
  • gdurham2014
    gdurham2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat due to the number of fruits and vegetables they ate.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I avoid no fruits and vegetables due to calories. I avoid certain vegetables because they are icky.

Word.

Squash. Ugh.
    Mushrooms. Gross.
    Radishes. Vile
    Parsley. Minging.
    Potatoes. Yum
    Bananas. Double yum.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have to be mindful of how many dates I eat. Not because of sugars or the like but one date is 70 calories and I could easily eat like 10 of them before I started to feel less hungry because they can be consumed so quickly. When I have them for my afternoon snack I have 2 or 3 with a string cheese. Peeling the cheese while I eat slows me down so I can register that I'm taking in nutrition , calories, fiber and the like. Plus I like to eat cheese with my fruit as a rule...

Other than that I'll give the flippant answer that nobody got fat eating fruit.

Oh and I don't eat mushrooms (other than ****ake) because they grow them in poop. Did you know that ****ake is Japanese for "on the log" or so I've been told...
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    A variety of fruits and vegetables is good for nutritional balance. I wouldn't avoid any of them....

C'mon, it's fruit. Think about this logically, in a big picture sense. Is any fruit really bad enough to necessitate avoiding it completely? I can understand avoiding trans fats, or fried food, or nutella, or even brownies....but FRUIT? nope nope nope.
    QFT

If a more "sugar-dense" fruit isn't hitting your macros that day, substitute a different fruit or vegetable. But there are far too many nutrients (and big bang for your calorie fiber in many of them) to cut out ANY fruit or vegetable IMO. I don't eat "clean" but I AM trying to get more fruits and veggies into my diet for the health.

Fruits and veggies are good for you. Eat what fit's that day's macros. Yes, even coconuts or avocados. Avoid only what you can't personally stomach tastewise or what doesn't fit THAT DAY'S macros (and try to make sure you make these fit for the nutrition).
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat due to the number of fruits and vegetables they ate.
    TLDR version of what I just QFT'd :laugh:
  • joanneveee
    joanneveee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know so many people who eat cookie brownies etc and not eat fruits or veg.. Unless there is a health problem I think all fruits and veg are great. Just stay within your cal. Your body will use the natural sugar to keep you going. I don't eat potato because it's not my fav. Love banana and peanut butter to start my day.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It was a crazy morning today, so I ate on the run and was glad to have the "extra" calories in the banana.

OP, good post and question as it really educates everyone.

When I am working on a project in my house I bring my tool box. I have man different tools and I know the different things they do, its the same with food (and fruit), when you open your food toolbox, pick the best match for your needs
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me which fruits & vegetable should be avoided and which should be consumed most often?
    I understand bananas and potatoes are the worst...any others?
    What are the best???

Please don't misunderstand. I do not believe any category of food should be eliminated. But there certainly are bad foods that need to be eliminated. Fruit is not one of them. My stance is very simple and substantiated by science. Too much sugar in the diet is dangerous and is the leading cause of obesity and that is why we have the problem of obesity that we never had before.

The words are too much and too much is relevant to the amount of calories one eats in a give day. As I said, everything in moderation means nothing if one does not know what moderation is. In the case of sugar, moderation is 10 percent of ones' calories.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can anyone tell me which fruits & vegetable should be avoided and which should be consumed most often?
    I understand bananas and potatoes are the worst...any others?
    What are the best???

Please don't misunderstand. I do not believe any category of food should be eliminated. But there certainly are bad foods that need to be eliminated. Fruit is not one of them. My stance is very simple and substantiated by science. Too much sugar in the diet is dangerous and is the leading cause of obesity and that is why we have the problem of obesity that we never had before.

The words are too much and too much is relevant to the amount of calories one eats in a give day. As I said, everything in moderation means nothing if one does not know what moderation is. In the case of sugar, moderation is 10 percent of ones' calories.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

Thats misguided though.. sugar doesnt cause obesity, an over consumption of calories do. Heck eat more fruit and veggies can help lower your caloric intake if anything (especially when its not a controlled environment like mfp). You can morbidly obese with steak, wings and other items.

Fact is, even if you consume 20% or 30% of your calories from fruit but stay in a deficit you will lose weight. And fruits and veggies have lots of benefits like fiber, vitamins and minerals.
  • piejin
    piejin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't eat potatoes, but it's for the same reason I don't buy regular pasta, white rice, or white bread at the store. I don't see why I'd pick it when there is an alternative that's just as delicious but way more nutritious. Actually, IMO sweet potatoes taste a million times better than regular potatoes, too, so it's win win. :]