Poll: Working out with significant other?

Options
I personally don't like working out with my boyfriend. He's really fit, and whenever I get really proud for running a mile in 8 minutes, he ran it in 5:30, stuff like that. And he's into PDA, and I'm not, but I find it especially tacky at a gym. But I feel bad rejecting his kisses. So yeah, I avoid going to the gym with him. What about you guys?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I workout with my wife and it's very valuable "us" time being that we have a couple kiddos (baby and toddler)...I don't compare myself to her and she doesn't compare herself to me. I am better on a bicycle...she is a better runner....I can naturally lift more than she can...she has better muscular endurance...she's more flexible...I have better balance, etc, etc, etc.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love working out with my man. I enjoy the encouraging smacks on my *kitten* when I hit a big lift or break a PR. We spot each other and it is time for US without the kids.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My husband will occasionally go on walks together but, as far as running, I prefer to do that alone. He has mentioned going with me before and I'm fine if he decides to go as long as he doesn't expect me to alter my training plan and that day's workout for him.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym with him. Right now, he's on hiatus due to a wrist fracture :frown:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I ran with my "now-ex" and I wanted to throttle him the whole time.
    And I don't mean "jump his bones". Always talking to me when I'm trying to get into my zone and focus on running and breathing.
    Bumping into me while running because he is wearing DC skate shoes running.. :sick: .. just so distracting. :explode:
    I hated it. Told him to bring his ipod the next time we went out.. but that never happened lol :drinker:
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I understand that.

Mine can't keep up with me & "doesn't like lifting weights."

Seriously, who doesn't like lifting weights??? :noway:
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do a variety of classes at the Y. My husband joined me from April-August but then quit when work got stressful. For us, its nice to actually "do something together." Since we don't really "compete" in classes, that doesn't come up. He says he will start coming again once he gets over his sinus infection. All that being said, I don't base whether I am going to exercise on whether he does!!!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I go together on lifting days. He makes a good spotter and always pushes me to get that one last rep. He doesn't do kettlebell class with me very often because it's not his favorite but I love it. But I have no complaints working out with him! He is very motivating and supportive.
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If I had a SO would absolutely work out with them.

Have taken guys I was seeing to the gym with me in the past, nothing better then getting sweaty together I think :drinker:
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I workout with my wife and it's very valuable "us" time being that we have a couple kiddos (baby and toddler)...I don't compare myself to her and she doesn't compare herself to me. I am better on a bicycle...she is a better runner....I can naturally lift more than she can...she has better muscular endurance...she's more flexible...I have better balance, etc, etc, etc.
    I agree....working out with my hubby is "our" time....quite therapeutic
  • xLittleMissVixenx
    Options
    I'd love to work out with my boyfriend. In November I had a 'bring a buddy for a month for free' thing so he came with me a few times then but he just doesn't like the gym apparently :frown:
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I love working out with my husband.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out by myself. I see my gym time as my personal "me" time. It's my time to focus on myself and let go/work out the stresses of the day.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm fine going to the gym with my husband. He goes and does his thing, and I go do mine. No one bothers anyone.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go to the gym together on the weekends. He does his thing, and I do mine most of the time. Sometimes I need his help, no big deal. There is no way we can compete at anything; I'm 5'3, and he's 6'3. On the squat machine, he put like 1500lbs on, and I put on 50lbs. Whatever, he's supposed to be stronger than me.

I'm not into PDA either. If he tried to kiss me at the gym, I would probably punch him. It's just drawing unnecessary attention in my opinion.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would love to but we don't really enjoy the same kinds of exercises. I'm hoping that we'll get out of the gym a bit more this year and do some hiking and cycling together though =)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    I HATE working out with my husband! He has a completely different idea of working out and I'm just getting warmed up and he's done and ready to leave. Plus he tries to be cute and funny and it just annoys the heck out of me. Much better for us to do our own things.
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My husband is super fit and always has been. I on the other hand am not and having 2 kids 12 months apart didn't help. That being said I love working out with him. He is my personal trainer. I don't feel ridiculous like I do with other people and he encourages me to do better. He is the one that got me into lifting and trying to run. There is no way that I could keep up with him but we compromise and he will jog with me(for a warm up) for a little bit and then I will move on to something else and he does what he wants to do. Thankfully our gym has tons to do. So it has never been an issue.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I will both go to the gym and then go our own separate ways and meet up for cool down. :)
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would love to but we don't really enjoy the same kinds of exercises. I'm hoping that we'll get out of the gym a bit more this year and do some hiking and cycling together though =)

I love hiking and going on walks with mine as well :) but actually going to the gym, Ehh lol